Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Accurate and timely ingredient information can be a matter of life and death. The industry and its employees must be aware of this fact and must adjust their practices so that ingredient inquiries are dealt with quickly, accurately and courteously...

Although the prime concern of health authorities is food allergies, the foodservice industry should be aware of all food reactions because they influence the comfort and satisfaction of patrons and, quite rightfully, stimulate inquiries about the ingredients used in menu items.

http://www.crfa.ca/runningarestaurant/h ... _guide.asp

I just sent them an e-mail:
Quote:
I read the information regarding your booklet with great interest as my daughter has multiple food allergies which have caused anaphylaxis reactions. http://www.crfa.ca/runningarestaurant/h ... _guide.asp

I was disappointed to see that little attention was given to factors that increase the risk of cross contamination. While a restaurant may feel that an item is safe as it doesn't contain an allergen as an ingredient, the process of cutting on the same board, refreshing in the same simmering water, handling pre-chopped ingredients by hand instead of a dedicated spoon/tongs greatly increases the risk of cross contamination.

One just has to watch any of the restaurant television shows of chefs in action to identify several risk factors. I hope that this will be something that you will consider making food service staff aware of in the future.

I continue to contact restaurants in advance and discuss concerns and solutions with both management and the chefs. I have been pleasantly surprised at how willing they are to create safe meals. It is not easy when you are avoiding 4 of the top 9 allergens!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb