You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 pm 

Hi,
I´m going on vacation to Florida and looking very much forward to it. But unfortunally I`m very much allergic to eggs.
Can any of you tell me where to eat, restaurants, Fast Food places etc. ?
From Denmark I know McDonald, and it`s ok, but I would like some more places to go to.
KR,
Charlotte (Denmark)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 pm 

Cat2010 wrote:
Hi,
I´m going on vacation to Florida and looking very much forward to it. But unfortunally I`m very much allergic to eggs.
Can any of you tell me where to eat, restaurants, Fast Food places etc. ?
From Denmark I know McDonald, and it`s ok, but I would like some more places to go to.
KR,
Charlotte (Denmark)

I have no suggestions unfortunately, but be aware that the ingredients of the foods McDonalds serves varies in each country and you should check their US site to see the ingredients list and know what's safe. For instance, I know fries in the US contain dairy, but in Canada, they don't. Forwarned is forarmed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:24 pm 

ooh, we are going to florida as well, any reasonable restaurants that are worth a try?

my lad is allergic to,

peanut ,
brazil nut
some beans,
raw / partially cooked egg,
kiwi fruit
yeast extract

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Orlando is tourist mecca! There is a big competition for the tourist dollar and many restaurants are aware of food allergies. I had great luck at Disney Downtown and recommend the Portobella Restaurant.

My experience in Orlando touched me so deeply, that I am now more willing to ask restaurants about their ability to create a safe meal rather than simply ask them to reheat a meal I bring along. I am a huge control freak. :roll:

Go online and check tourism websites for possible retaurants. Contact the restaurant directly (e-mail works great) and trust your gut. If it just doesn't feel right, don't risk it.

Having said all of that, you can look at rental options that include a kitchen/kitchenette. Most hotels will offer a coffee maker and microwave and bar fridge. You can purchase an electric frying pan to cook in your room but remember, if you're hiking all over town, you'll arrive back to your room tired and hungry with limitted time to cook.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am 

Thank you very much for you answers. Portobello in downtown Disney is an italian restaurant. I have never eaten italian, not even in Denmark, because I`m afraid of eggs in the pasta. But I can see at the menu that they have much more than that, so perhaps I should give it a try......and yes, I will probably write them an e-mail.
KR,
Charlotte

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Dd had the fille mignon with potatoes and vegetables. She had the wood roasted mushrooms (which we now fake at home) as an appetizer as well as bread and olive oil. She really enjoyed the peach Bibita Modo Tuo (a drink sort of like a slushy).

Chef Daniel and all of the staff made her feel welcome and safe. We ate early on Monday just after a busy weekend and so it probably felt very quite to the staff. She looked up at me and beamed, "I didn't know restaurants could be like this.".

It was one of the highlights of our trip! :happydance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 pm 

Susan, did you call ahead and make arangements? Even the bread was safe? We are leaving for Orlando next weekend and staying weeks so we had also hoped to find at least one safe restaurant that we could eat out in occassionally. DH has only eaten restaurant food once...ever.....and that was at one of the Disney restaurants a couple years ago. But I was hoping to find restaurants outside of Disney parks that we could try. So I think we might give this one a try. Cat said it is Italian? Were you nervous about all the cheese?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

I did call ahead. I tell the restaurant what we are avoiding. I ask when a good time to come would be.

Whole foods have many allergy freindly items. I am always amazed at how pricy food is in the USA. Find some safe sliced meat and wraps. We practically lived on wraps, fruit and veggies and the occasional stirfry in the hotel room. Soy cheese and ham in a wrap and microwaved for breakfast-yummy!

I'm pretty sure the luncheon meats we bought were Hillshire Farms.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm 

Charlotte, I'm from the US and I travel a lot. If you're severely allergic, your best and least expensive choice is to find a hotel with a microwave and refrigerator in the room (this is easy to do) and buy your food at a supermarket, like Publix or Albertson's, where you can read ingredient labels. Fresh fish and shellfish are cheap and plentiful at many restaurants in Florida, but you have to ask for it steamed or boiled. Be careful not to eat anything deep-fried or with a batter coating because these will usually be dipped in egg, and do not eat desserts in restaurants. When I travel I usually live on supermarket roast chicken and vegetables for lunch and dinner, oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Anything left over from dinner is frozen overnight in the refrigerator and I take it with me to the next location. Have fun on your trip!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:33 pm 

Outback Steakhouse is allergy friendly

Joe Stone Crab is also very allergy aware but expensive and long waits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

We purchsed some flat breads (tortillas/wraps), cereal, safe sliced meats (Hillshire FArms, Buddig's) and fruits and veggies at the local supermarket. We purchased veganaise, soy milk and soy cheese at Whole Foods supermarket and ate a lot of meals in our hotel room.

We advised them of our allergies when booking the room and requested a small fridge and a microwave. I bought an electric frying pan on line and had it delivered to the hotel ahead of me. It was there when I arrived and I could use it to prepare some foods as well.

We had a lot of fun 'camping out' in the hotel. Just don't expect to cook a lot when you're out until very late!

Google grocery stores in the area you'll be staying (go to Google maps-type in an address-click on the button "Search nearby"-enter grocery store) you can then go on line and check their sales flyers. This gives you an idea of the brands available...you can investigate the companies online and see if they're safe for you. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm 

I read somewhere that the head honcho of the Disney World restaurants has a severe milk allergy ... think it was an interview with him in a travel magazine?

Anyway, it said there that anyone who has allergies can call the dining line ahead of the trip, and they will tell you where to eat on what days, what to avoid, etc.... everyone I know who has done that has said that their trip went wonderfully, and that the Disney staff were really on the ball!

We've never been to Florida, and have been to Disneyland twice - never called ahead, but staff went out of their way to accomodate my son's allergies on the spot ... even though I wasn't expecting or asking (we simply explained why he couldn't have certain things he was offered and the next thing we knew the chef came out to speak to us each time, offering us safe alternatives!!) Even their Mickey Mouse-shaped chicken nuggets have milk in them - buttermilk in the breading - so it wasn't easy to order off the menu for him when the usual "safe" item wasn't allowed either! :banghead

So if you're travelling to Disney World, call their dining line ahead of time! They'll be ready for you! We are excited to to try Disney World, as my son has anaphylaxis to milk, so if the head honcho has the same allergy ... I know they'll know what to do for us!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Send an e-mail to Disney's Special Diet at at SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com
Ask for a Food Allergy Dietary Reference Sheet. This will give you a break down on which foods contain the top priority ingredients anyway.