Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Niagara Falls, Ontario
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:45 pm 

FYI

During March break our family ventured to Niagara Falls. We had a very unacceptable dinner at Rainforest Cafe. I spoke with the manager first about my three year old son's peanut and nut allergy and found him rather dismissive. Our waitress was very concerned and did her best to help us. We found they could not guarantee the safety of the breading for fried foods and our son should not eat the fries there. When I asked if his fries could be substituted for a salad in his children's hamburger combo meal they assured me it could. He received his burger and salad , but when the bill came the waitress said her manager made her charge us for a full adult salad with no credit for the fries we did not receive. His childrens's meal ended up costing about $15.00. Needless to say, we won't be back.

The next night we had supper at TGI Friday's. They were very helpful, accommodating and and the children had a great and affordable meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:30 pm 

The Rainforest Cafe should know better. I don't know if each franchise is like that, but given the fact that this restaurant caters to children, I am appalled at their poor attention to the needs to allergic children. Unfortunately, there are a lot of restaurants that simply do not want this segment of the population as their customers, as they are afraid of any risks or lawsuits that could arise. Being proactive is the key, avoiding the issue is detrimental. I hope you wrote to them and complained. Thanks for sharing your story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:27 am 

Sorry you had a bad experience there; I actually had a very good server when eating there this summer. He was very aware about cross-contamination, asked if I had an epi-pen with me etc. I had ordered a soup and salad for lunch. He said they could not guarantee that the salad would be ok due to cross-contamination, but that the soup would be fine. He seemed very knowledgeble and concerned. I had only the soup and felt thankful for his advice.