You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moxies.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 pm 

Pizza Hotline here in Winnipeg is also owned by a family who has anaphylactic allergies. They definitely get it!! :thumbsup

When we still lived in Vancouver (before we had DS) it was very rare we would ever eat out at franchise type restaurants. Most of the best food was from smaller independant type restaurants. Hmmmmm, we need a drooling emoticon!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
When we still lived in Vancouver (before we had DS) it was very rare we would ever eat out at franchise type restaurants. Most of the best food was from smaller independant type restaurants. Hmmmmm, we need a drooling emoticon!

I agree completely! We loved little, out of the way places or diners. We rarely eat at those now.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 pm 

Well, we're Transcona proud so Mr. B.'s and Dal's are definately at the top of our list for favorite pizza places :) Both have safe pizza's but we haven't bothered/needed to explore other offerings when zza is what is on the menu! Both are super thin crispy crust.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 am 

mharasym wrote:
Well, we're Transcona proud so Mr. B.'s and Dal's are definately at the top of our list for favorite pizza places :) Both have safe pizza's but we haven't bothered/needed to explore other offerings when zza is what is on the menu! Both are super thin crispy crust.

Great to know! We will check them out for sure. I figured you were dining in Transcona when you mentioned all those restaurants being close to each other --- incredible how there is a line at every one on a weekend night!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 pm 

Quote:
Transcona proud so Mr. B.'s and Dal's are definately at the top of our list for favorite pizza places
Thanks for sharing that, I haven't heard of either of these places but it is good to know in case we are ever away, I'll store the information in my allergy mommy brain as it is great to know safe places where other allergy families eat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 pm 

We went to Moxies last night and the food allergy service was great! I handed the server a chef card when we first arrived and she brought it back to the kitchen. The manager brought me a few laminated allergy charts listing which items would be or could be made safe, described their allergy procedures, and let me know that there is a dish with nuts prepared near where mine would be made and what they were doing to eliminate any cross-contamination. They didn't add a garnish to one of our dishes because it was stored in a container next to nuts and may be contaminated. I was very impressed!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:30 pm 

:happydance
Glad you had a positive (and I hope tasty) meal out!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:30 pm 

Deleted this myself. For some reason posts are doubling up lately??? :scratchy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm 

I guess I should mention that yes, the food was good - and they even made it vegetarian for me. :) This was the Edmonton North (137/Mark Messier) location.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:44 pm 

Just browsing the menu, looks like an allergen guide has been added recently...
http://www.moxies.ca/sites/default/file ... 0guide.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm 

We will have to check them out again --- it is the only restaurant nearby our movie theatre and it would be great for my daughter and her friends to go out after a movie!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:37 pm 

Before catching up on all the posts I've missed here the past few months I wanted to share how incredible our Ottawa (Orleans) Moxies has been yet again.
After not seeing our family in a few months Chef Pearson (head chef for all Ottawa Moxies) and Chef Proudfoot (head chef for our local Moxies) sent a quick email to myself - worried that DS was doing ok and checking in on his health. So incredibly thoughtful!! They just wanted to be sure that he was fine and they looked forward to seeing us /him whenever we were in to eat.

We do plan on eating there in the next couple weeks with family but I happened to be there last week for a night out with some mommy friends. Arsi the manager happened to be on and I waved hi to him but never thought he'd put 2 and 2 together with who I was. Well not only did he remember me but he came over all smiles and immediately asked how DS was doing. I had no idea he'd gone and told Chef Proudfoot I was in the restaurant so to my surprise a few minutes later, on a busy Friday night head Chef Proudfoot came out to our table to give me a hug and say hello. His own child has allergies so he really does 'get' the worries and issues related to allergies. By chance one of the mom's I was with who has Celiac (and a shellfish allergy) was trying to find something extra tasty for an appetizer treat. She had looked at their allergy/gluten free list but wasn't finding just what she wanted. Well Chef Proudfoot was AMAZING..he took about 5 min. going through the appetizers and telling her what he could do and couldn't do (due to cross contamination - fryer etc.) in order to make something safe. He ended up making her the most delicious looking tuna tar tar an in lie of the cruton crackers cut thicker circles of cucumber for her to use as a 'cracker'. He also said he'd be sure to go through the gluten free menu again and add anything onto it he could do which wasn't already on there.
Arsi the manager came over a few more times to chat, he truly is the most kind and sincere person. I can't wait to take DS out to eat at our Moxies again soon. They not only ensure the meal is safe but clearly have their hearts in the right place also.
THANK YOU OTTAWA MOXIES For 'getting it' when it comes to allergies and gluten free..and for a wonderful evening for a much needed mommies night out!!!
:happydance :happydance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm 

Add Moxies in Winnipeg (Regent location) to the list of great service for food allergies!

The server and the manager were both excellent and assured us it was no problem to go back and forth asking questions of the kitchen staff. They did some searching to clarify the ingredients in the sauce for my meal to make sure it was safe. When my other child asked for "no tomato" the server said "Is that a preference or an allergy?". Also, when we told the server "tree nuts" she knew right away what we meant and didn't start talking about peanuts which has often happened.

It just felt amazing for the allergies to not be an inconvenience or a novelty!

I told the Manager that we were there because of my friend's (ie. BC2007) good experience in Ottawa and he said to thank her :happydance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Those are fantastic experiences, you guys.
Great to hear! In fact BC2007, I think this one deserves .... :banana :banana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:21 pm 

THRILLED Walooet you had the same experience at Moxies as we have had. :happydance :happydance :happydance

We ate at Moxies last week. AWESOME!!! And this time....we branched out and they made DS dill salmon, alfredo noodles and steamed broccoli. The head chef wasn't in but (and this is a HUGE statement to make) I am so comfortable with the skills and knowledge of the staff there regarding allergies I felt no anxiety with a different chef as they are all trained by the incredible ones who have cooked for DS. The chef on came out, went over what DS likes to eat, can eat...and from there we mixed and matched to come up with a 'real' meal and not just cheese pizza. Total fluke the same waitress for each visit was working, that's 5/5 LOL. She took our table and without me even having to say anything said she would get all cups, cutlery direct from the dishwasher ,that she wouldn't touch his straw with her hands for his drink ...etc!!

I was so grateful as this time it wasn't the matter of one dish for a single pizza but they had to cook the sauce, pasta, broccoli and fish all in their own safe pans. DS was THRILLED and with two thumbs up said the meal was SWEEEEET and that the salmon and broccoli were his favorite.

It isn't just the safe meal...it is being made to feel like it is no bother, like you aren't a hassle or an inconvenience. THAT is just as important as a safe meal. :happydance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next