You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: McDonalds?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:53 pm 

My son was invited to a birthday party at McDonald's in early April. We've not eaten out at all with him since he was diagnosed (at 15 months). Regardless I'm still bringing my own food for him and he will not be eating there. My question is how safe is McDonalds? My son is peanut/tree nut allergic. He'll be going just to play in the playland with the birthday boy. I'm concerned about dirty fingers in the play area and my son having a possible reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:14 am 

We've never taken Josh just for that reason. The kids eat and play eat and play with no washing in between so it's pretty scary. You never know what someone has touched without washing first.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:11 am 

I wouldn't take ANY kid I cared about to McDonald's, allergic or not. I just don't trust them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:03 pm 

That's funny. If there is one place I would eat if I had too, it would be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:36 pm 

Call the McD's that the party is at. They were one of the first companies to make information available to customers - not just about ingredients, but also cross contam. There are some McD's that the only peanuts are in sealed containers for the ice-cream. Check what Blizzard flavours they have. I don't know if any have peanut - but some definitely are may contains.

Honestly, I don't think this is a *big risk* thing. There are probably less kids eating peanuts there then in the average playground. And they don't serve peanutbutter during lunch and dinner times. (I don't know if they have it available for toast in the morning.)

If I was dealing only with peanut allergy - I'd still eat there, but, not with a sesame seed allergy.

I miss the days when I could safely be a junk food addict. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 pm 

That does kind of put it into perspective AnnaMarie. I did call them and they said that the peanuts are in individual packages to avoid cross contam. but that they can't guarentee that a child hasn't spilled an ice cream on them and then gone down the slide (not that I would expect them to...). I'm still out on my decision but I'm really leaning towards him not going. I wonder when my bubble is going to burst and I'll no be able to control his life/allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 pm 

Hello there. My 7 year old son is allergic to peanuts, milk and eggs. We carry 2 epi-pens where ever we go. It is extremely difficult to go to a restaurant and feel safe. It is difficult to find something that does not contain a trace of milk, egg or peanut when eating out. I would have to say that the MacDonalds Hamburger Happy Meal is about the only thing he is able to eat in a restaurant and has done so a number of times. This was done only after checking to make sure (many times) there is no cross contamination of any other food and obviously checking the ingredients in each item. I feel safe in letting him eat there. I mean, you could go to the grocery store and who knows what some child was eating when sitting in the grocery cart. There are peanuts sold in the open there and you cannot avoid the grocery store or the grocery store cart. When your child opens a public door, uses a public washroom or touches anything in public, it may have come in contact with a product your child is highly allergic to. I think Macdonalds is a safe place as any for your child to attend a birthday party, obviously, after checking the ingredients of everything that goes in his mouth first. They do have a nutritional information sheet that list all the ingredients of every food item. As long as you talk to them and let them know about your childs peanut allergy and that there wil not be any cross contaminaiton, I am sure everything will be fine. We always double check that my son gets the right order and that it is a hamburger and not a cheeseburger and we have never had any problems. We try to teach him as well to make sure he gets what he ordered and to never eat it until checking. I hope this helps a little bit and I hope you take your child to the birthday party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:52 pm 

We also go to MacDonalds for the happy meals. More recently have started going to Wendys, and Swiss Chalet.

(My allergies are all fish and all nuts. My daughter is milk, egg, and nuts.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:15 pm 

My 3 year old son is peanut/tree nut/sesame seed/egg/fish/etc allergic, and one of the only restaurants we will eat at is McDonald's as we've found them to be very allergy aware. My son can only eat the french fries and Chicken McNuggets as they are both cooked separately from the fish and are not in contact with the sesame buns. We eat out very very rarely, but that's one place we will venture into. I make sure we wash the table well, and my son eats his meal on the tray with the paper placemat. We always bring 2 Epipens (just in case). We've never allowed him to play in the play area yet, but my 6 year old daughter will, and we just make sure she washes her hands well afterwards. When the day comes that he plays in the play area, we will likely make sure he eats his meal first, then play, then immediately wash his hands.

It's interesting that we will eat at McDonald's, but, for the most part, we bring his food everywhere we go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:44 pm 

McDonald's was one restaurant that stayed on my safe list the longest... until 4 years ago. After explaining my fish allergy to the girl in front, the guy in the kitchen (place was almost empty), they went ahead to do my burger: clean ustensils were taken out... he used the ones next to them. Send it back and try again... and again! The guy after me orders a fish burger... clean ustensils are used for that stupid fish burger than used for my burger. I was out the door, telling myself I will never put my life in the hands of a 15-year-old again! That time I was lucky, I saw everything that was going on in the kitchen so I was able to see his every move... all of them wrong!

I've worked in kitchens before and have seen some people prepare my meals and only one thing to mention: you never know what goes on behind closed doors... mistakes happen and some people just cross their fingers that you will not notice!

Sorry to be a little negative here, just wanted to bring the other side to the story.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:34 pm 

No, I think it's a good point. Aside from my 800,000 ethical concerns regarding McDonald's you really are trusting underpaid teenagers to follow all the precautions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:26 am 

I guess our family should rethink the safety of eating the occasional meal at McDonald's... honestly, we don't eat at restaurants, and we bring our son's food everytime we eat at meal at someone else's home, so why did I feel McDonald's was "safe"? I'm really questioning our decision on that one. We've had several real scares with my son's allergies, so it's not like we shouldn't know better....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:51 pm 

I do recall many years ago, my friend's son was diagnosed with a fish allergy. His first known reaction he went in to ana. shock.

She went in to the McD's near us and got a tour. There were a few things that she felt were safe for her son - they were never cooked with/after fish. Nothing specific was required for her son - their regular routine was safe for him. However, he was very limited in what he could eat. And everytime they introduced anything new, she went back in and checked it's safety.

Julie, if what you felt safe feeding your son is considered safe without any speicial precautions - maybe you should go in and talk to them. It may be that it is safe.

And Audra - I still wish I could eat a Big Mac. We've actually tried to make our own version of *special sauce*. We never get close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

The only things that I feel safe with at McDonalds is french fries. They are cooked in a different pot of oil.
Still I might buy the odd HappyMeal toy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:30 pm 

Thanks, Anne Marie, for your comments and suggestions. This forum certainly gives us "food for thought" on many occasions!