You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:37 pm 

The funny thing is that my husband and I wouldn't have been caught dead in a McDonalds 6 years ago. Now with 6 year old twins with anaphylactic egg and peanut allergies, taking them to McD's for Mcnuggets and fries, feels like one of the relatively safe "normal" kid things that they can do.
I think it's important to help our highly allergic kids get a chance just to feel like one of the gang, whenever possible. Almost everything contains an element of risk.
My guys actually have a play date at McD's this weekend. So we'll grab our epipens, hope for the best and let them have some fun with their friends!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:22 pm 

I agree that I feel safe with french fries at McD's. I also love their McFlurry's! The ice cream has no warning for nuts (I've checked) and none of the ingredients that go in have nuts (Smarties, Strwaberry Shortcake and Oreo). Also, they don't use a universal mixing implement (unlike Dairy Queen), instead they use the plastic spoon you get and it attaches to the mixer. So McFLurries and fries are probably the two safest things to get from McDonald's.

Caroline

Post subject: Mcdonalds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:16 pm 

My son is also peanut /nut allergic and he eats mc donalds all the time. We have trained him not to touch his face or mouth and he carries a fanny pack with his epi pen benadryl and purell. You also need to make them aware of the allergy before ordering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:21 pm 

Hi LisaCustudio
Welcome to the forum!
Just wanted to say, we also carry purell to kill germs. However, purell won't get rid of food protein/peanut protein. Thought you should know, in case you were relying on that as one of your safety measures. Here is a discussion of similar topic:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1375

and another link to a study of same:

http://www.medaus.com/p/299,1299,,20.html

Take care!

Post subject: I trust McDonald's
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:09 pm 

As I have posted before my father is an owner/operator of some McD's in Ontario. It is the ONLY restaurant I trust for my DS1 who is allergic to peanuts.

Some people make cracks about McD's ("I'd never take any child I loved to McD's" was quoted here) and I think that's just silly. Another comment was made that you're entrusting your child's allergy with teenagers. Anyone can make a false move and contaminate food .... age isn't the issue. Education of staff is the issue. Often times it's the teenagers who understand the seriousness of food allergies (that's what I've found) b/c they have a sibling or cousin etc with a life threatening allergy.

The only peanuts they sell are in packages (this was done back when I worked at McD's - over 15 yrs ago). My father is trying to talk to the 'big wigs' to see if they can make all McD's peanut free. They are a leader in the restaurant business (which is why they get a lot of flack) so if we can get them to go peanut free many other restaurants will follow. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:52 pm 

Julie,
My son is also egg, dairy, fish and nut allergic. I was sure that I had read that the chicken nuggets had egg white in the coating.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:56 pm 

Julie I double checked. It is whey powder not egg. I knew there was something in their we couldn't have.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:23 pm 

Thanks Stephanie. :)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:51 am 

Just thought I'd jump in here. I took my daughter to McDonalds with my freind and her 2 children. We've never had a problem with nuts there before but on this day we ordered the happy meals for all three kids as my daughter has never had a problem before. On this day they gave cookies in the happy meals instead of the toys. I should have checked but this has never happened before. My daughter grabbed it and tried opening it. I took it from her to read the label and right on the back is a may contain warning for tree nuts/peanuts. So my friend went up to the till while i tried to comfort my daughter who was having a meltdown over not being able to eat the cookies. When she went up and explained to the cashier about the allergy and was there anything else we could have they had to talk to the manager. She finally got a toy. What upset me was that everyone before and after us were getting toys and we got the cookies. Just a caution to watch out for the cookies when getting the happy meals. I have never had a problem with them before which is why i wasn't paying as much attention as i should have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 am 

I'm glad your daughter was able to get a toy in place of the cookie. Just goes to show how important it is to always read labels - thanks for the warning. I also wanted to add that while McDonald's seems to be pretty aware of peanut / tree nut allergy, you can't forget that they still do serve packaged peanuts on the premises for their sundaes. People are potentially opening up these bags of peanuts at tables throughout the restaurant and touching surfaces everywhere. Also remember that kids who have eaten peanut topped sundaes are then going into their indoor playground areas and playing on all of the equipment.
My mother in law once told me a story (once she became aware of how potent peanut allergy can be and how residual peanut protein on surfaces can cause reactions in some kids) about how she was once eating at McD's, watched a family eat their peanut topped sundaes at a table beside her and then leave. A family she knew who had a daughter with PA came after this family and sat down for their dinner. I of course cringed when I heard the story. You can just never be too careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:18 pm 

I always wipe down the tables with wet ones I keep in my purse...does anyone know if this will remove the protein from a hard surface? (I know purell does not work on hands and wet ones do.)

Ang