You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:36 pm 

Just one more thing... the chicken nuggets are also cooked in separate oil (not with the fish), and they do not contain egg.

Our family enjoys are very healthy diet, but I have to admit, we still enjoy the odd splurge at McDonald's :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:28 pm 

Hi! I've just read your postings about taking your son to the birthday party which by now I'm sure he's either gone to by now or not. My 3 1-2 son is allergic to nutsand we live in rural Ont.

We travel quite a bit and in the beginning avoided restaurants and basically I think we lived in a bubble. Slowly we started to venture into a couple of restaurants and now I have a couple that so far have been good. We have been to over 35 different McDonald's in Ontario, including various parts of Toronto, London, Chatham as well as in Halifax. When new items are brought in I question them and have met a few managers along the way. Recently we were in a McD's in London where there was also a Krispy Creme centre. Since we always carry the epi's we tried the food & were fine. ( no donuts though) Eventually I did email Krsipy Creme. We also were not far from the hospital. Just in case.

Kelsey's even carries Chapman's Icecream and for once we have had dessert. The container was new, the waiter had an understanding of the allergy & even went as far as bringing out the label for me to see. Again fine. Again, down the road from a hospital.

Needless to day we have a couple of restaurants where we know we can eat at. We also know of several we can't. We dare not go into a Montana's anywhare but Owen Sound who has removed their nuts from the bar, Eastside Marios is out. Family owned restaurants are out minus my bro in laws, after going thru with a fine tooth comb.

Before we eat out we try to find out the following: what's on the menu, are the staff knowledgeable about food allergies, do we have the epi pens, where is the closet hospital, all just to be sure.

Last Fri I even, by myself took the boys to a fish fry our school was hosting. I phoned the company that does the fish, questioned the teachers, brought the pens & knew a few volunteer firefighters would be there (remember we live in a small town & the closest H is 20 min away, and there is NO ambulance in town) I was very nervous as we haven't done this before but was confident I did my research. It was an awsome supper & not even so much as a sore tummy. Needless to say we stayed away from dessert!.

Afet the long winded version, I can offer you this. Listen to your gut & do what is right for you, if you feel you've researched a resuarant well enough try it, just make sure you are prepared for the worst. Every Mom needs a night away from the stove, though I know that if you suffer from a ton of allergies this may not be possible. That' s just the way we have tackled the dilemma of restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:34 am 

Hi hickmom, (love the name :) )

Do you know if all Kelsey's use Chapman's icecream? Or is it just the one near you?

Also, you mentioned Krispy Kreme. I have a peanut allergy - and I feel safe eating them. None of their doughnuts have nuts or peanuts. They do NOT guarantee peanut free because they do not verify with their suppliers. My personal opinion is that the only companies that do check with suppliers are the one that actually write "peanut free" on the label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:10 pm 

I don't know if all the Kelsey's are "safe" but am willing to try one in a different location.

We feel pretty good about Krispy Creme as well. We have only purchased them from Walmart's in the city. Have you been in a KC & bought them? We went thru the ingred. list & found nothing either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:43 am 

When I first found out about Krispy Kreme I drove from Scarborough to Mississauga to buy some. :lol: Huge lineup.

First, I called the place and asked them questions. I didn't call head office, I actually called the outlet I was going to. Last year I got spoiled because there was one very close to me - but it's closed down now. I think the one near Wonderland is closed too. :( I've never bought anywhere other then where they are baked.

fyi - there are some doughnuts that LOOK like they have nuts on them. They have a similar texture as well - but it is NOT nuts. It is like a *crumble* topping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:24 am 

Thanks! On New Year's Day we went into one & asked questions & she wouldn't even serve us! So we've just been getting the honey glazed in a box. We drove from Cambrige to Kitchen to get them as a thank you for a relative who had the boys so we could have an adult celebration. I was dissapointed to come back empty handed, so now if I go again I will pick up some for her!!!! (it's our little splurge once in a blue moon). Do you know of any other restaurants to eat at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:18 pm 

I've always had good luck from Krispy Kreme. They've been both responsive and forthcoming with ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:19 pm 

hickmom wrote:
Do you know of any other restaurants to eat at?

I don't know what allergens you need to avoid but Swiss Chalet does seem to be allergy aware however it will vary by franchisee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:43 am 

Swiss Chalet? Are you serious? The only time I went in there they REFUSED to tell me what oil they were cooking with. It's probably the last place I would eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:29 pm 

I don't eat at any restaurants. I react very severely to even trace amounts of sesame seeds, and since every place has some kind of bread product - I'm just to scared. (Where do they cut the bread? - do they leave bags open? the list of questions/fears goes on and on.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:04 pm 

youngvader wrote:
Swiss Chalet? Are you serious? The only time I went in there they REFUSED to tell me what oil they were cooking with. It's probably the last place I would eat.

Yes, the chef and manager took us into the kitchen, explained all the ingredients and made sure we knew where the desserts we're served, etc...

sorry you didn't have a better experience.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:59 am 

We all know the risks involved when we are not the only on in control of what goes in our child mouth, however I do think it is also important to allow your child to enjoy as many things as possible that other children get to enjoy. Yes unfortunately Audra, that includes McDonalds. They have a great web site to allow you to do the research on there food prior to going. You still keep the control by explaining what they need to do in the process of prepareing your child food. Also watch what they are doing. I even ask as they place the order on the tray that they followed my instuctions. And of course check the food before your child eats it. The employee may be a little anoyed, but you will feel better and your child will be happy!
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 am 

I've been thinking a lot about the different restaurants we have ventured to and amazed with the ones we've had good experiences with. My youngest Zach is allergic to peanuts only so this opens the doors up to us a bit more than others I'm sure. We are able to eat at McDonald's. Harvey's, Wendy's, Swiss Chalet, A Kelsey's, a Montana's, and our family restaurant. Everyplace I researched as well as I could before we ventured in. One there we told the host of the allergy & all have been accomodating. If anyone ever ventures through Paisley, stop in at Libby's. This is my sis inlaws who are very accomodating. She keeps in touch with me about allergies & cross contaimations and her staff take this quite serious. They have a "plan" to protect their customers & have never had an incident so far. I wish there were more restaurants like this around.

Now having said all that, the place that we have boycotted for a couple of years now is Tim Hortons. In our small TH up in Port Elgin we used to be able to get at least the timbits, but with all the nut products they keep brining in we just don't go. My DH is a pilot out of TO but he gets up early now & makes his own coffee b/c the answers we were given from their head office made us furious. We were informed that they can not control all of the ingrediants that are brought in from their distributors. When we asked why they keep bringing in more nut products they said it was b/c that was what the consumers want. Then we asked how could a company that hosts and promotes childrens events, camps, etc not have a heart for the children that have never had a donut and can't attend their events, we were given no answer.

Oh well, we save some $ by not being addicted to their coffee anymore I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 pm 

You wonder why customers want more nuts and I wonder why heathy means fishy... seems that more and more fish-based meals are making their way to the restaurants as time goes. I remember a time not that long ago where the only fish on menus was that stinky fish & chips that no one ate... now they have all of those really nice looking (can't say anything about the taste nor smell :wink: ) that fill the menus. I love my peanut butter in the morning but I just can't figure out why fish is not banned from the Earth :wink: .

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:30 pm 

Sorry Mylene, :cry: I'm a fish lover! A general seafood lover really. I haven't let my youngest have any shellfish but he loves salmon & other fish. A peanut lover too, not that I eat that very often. I have noticed that the restaurants have been adding it more, just like they are adding more chicken.

If you ever want to venture my way I'll take you out to my sis in laws restaurant and I promise not to have fish! (It's only a specialty item- the fish & chips which are frozen & not a big seller!) Only if I can head your way for a PB & J picnic! :P