You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ordering Carry Out
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:10 pm 

I'm still new at navigating life with a food allergy. I've been wondering what is the best way to handle food allergies when ordering carryout food. You know the types of places that have "cooks" and not a chef with culinary school experience and education in food allergy and cross contamination risks. What is the best way to communicate my dietary and food preparation needs when placing an order for carryout or delivery? Will places be as accommodating as sit-down restaurants with a chef and manager who truly care about their customers? Is it best to avoid these cheap, quick-service restaurants all together? I guess in my gut, I feel the quick service types of places that just hire cooks to throw fries in the deep fryer or assemble sandwiches and burgers, don't really have anyone who "gets it" about food allergies and perhaps may not be as educated in cross contamination and keeping a sanitary kitchen.

Anyone have any insights? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ordering Carry Out
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm 

I don't have any sage advice but do use the same restaurants over and over. There are certain chains we just avoid totally for the cross contamination reason (can we name them here? I'm not sure).

I feel there is always a risk when dining out so obviously always have my son's epipen at hand. He had an anaphylactic (peanut allergy) reaction to a hamburger at a large chain even after I was assured by the cook there was no risk of contamination. I had a similar experience recently at a fine dining restaurant re: my own almond allergy.

In my experience most staff at fast food type places have absolutely no concept of food allergy in terms of trace amounts or cross contamination.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing others responses.