You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let everyone know we normally order pizza from our local Dominos as they confirmed with us a few years ago that they were peanut free and their dough had no cross contamination with peanut/nuts. They had even put a "note" on our electronic file noting our allergies.
I received their flyer in the mail earlier this week and noticed they were now offering "Chocolate Crunch Lava Cakes".
I called and spoke to the manager about the new Lava Crunch Cake that was on the newest flyer and asked about nuts/peanuts. At first he said no there were "no nuts in it" I had to explain that a peanut/nut allergy is potentially life threatening and the nuts/peanuts do not have to be in something for someone with an allergy to have a reaction.
I explained that I would need him to go and get the box and read all the ingredients to me. Which he did.
There was a warning that the cakes were produced in a factory that processed nuts/peanuts. I asked if the cakes were baked in the same oven as the pizzas and the answer was yes.
I explained to the manager that because of the risk of contamination at the plant and cross contamination (cakes crumbs to pizza) that we could no longer order pizza from them. I also stressed to him that there is a potential for other nut/peanut allergic customers to have a reaction if they order pizza and don't know about this new cake on the menu.
I contacted Dominos Canada Head office and received the following email back:

"Thank you for your email and bringing to our attention the seriousness of the potential life threatening issues regarding allergies.
We are in the process of updating our website with the information necessary to allow customers with allergies to make informed decisions.
We will be reviewing with our Franchise Body the seriousness of allergies to our customers as well as talking to the Franchisee of The Store in ...".

Today I received another email from them:
"Hello, as follow up to my previous email I would like to provide you with further information regarding our lava cakes.
Although this is proprietary and not to be given out to the public, we felt your case was serious enough that you should be aware of every ingredient in the product- as per below, I do not see any presence of nuts or nut products in the Lava Cakes directly, you must determine that if the presence of nuts in the manufacturing facility is cause enough to avoid not only the product but the rest of our products that have been cooked in the same ovens that we reheat the Lava Cakes in, then we fully support your decision made for the safety of your child.
Under the Allergens list on the ingredients list from our commissary the following message appears and should be heeded by your family.

NUTS & NUT OILS

Chocolate Lava Crunch Cake – Made in a facility that handles peanuts and tree nuts
CHOCOLATE LAVA CRUNCH CAKE 0.0% T.F.

FUDGE (High fructose corn syrup, Condensed nonfat milk, Hydrogenated coconut oil, Water, Sugar, Cocoa processed with alkali, Cocoa, Modified food starch, Sodium alginate, Salt, Mono & Diglycerides, Potassium sorbate {preservative}, Soy lecithin, Natural and Artificial flavors), COOKIE CAKE (Enriched flour {Wheat flour, Niacin, Reduced iron, Thiamine mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid}, Sugar, High oleic canola oil and/or Soybean oil, Cocoa {processed with alkali}, High fructose corn syrup, Leavening {Baking soda and/or Calcium phosphate}, Salt, Soy lecithin {emulsifier}, Chocolate, Vanillin), SUGAR, BUTTER, FLOUR (Bleached wheat flour, Malted barley flour, Niacin, Reduced iron, Thiamine mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid), COOKIE PIECES (Sugar, Enriched flour {Wheat flour, Niacin, Reduced iron, Thiamine mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid}, High oleic canola oil and or Palm oil and/or Canola oil and/or Soybean oil, Cocoa {processed with alkali}, High fructose corn syrup, Cornstarch, Leavening {Baking soda and/or Calcium phosphate}, Salt, Soy lecithin {emulsifier}, Vanillin, Chocolate), EGGS, EGG YOLK, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR. COCOA

POWDERED SUGAR 0.0% T.F.
Sugar

What I don't understand is the statement "Although this is proprietary and not to be given out to the public..." HUH? :dungetit If I am aware of a potential allergen why would I not inform others and why would it be kept from the public's knowledge? Am I missing something? I responded to today’s email as follows:

Thank you for getting back to me. It is standard precaution and advised by the anaphylactic society of Canada as well allergists that if there is a "may contain" warning or "produced in a factory that..." that the product not be consumed because the potential for an allergic reaction exists due to possible cross contamination. Here are a few links for you to look at:

http://www.anaphylaxis.org/pdf/ProductSafety.pdf

http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... ng_out.asp

I'm just disappointed that as long term customers we now have to find another pizza provider that can accommodate our allergies. Most schools have pizza days of some sort; our children's school is right beside the location and is a nut-free school. They have ordered from Dominos in the past, now they will not with this new information I have provided them.

I've also notified "Allergic Living" http://www.allergicliving.com/ Canada's leading magazine on food allergy & asthma that Dominos is no longer safe to eat at for people who have peanut/tree nut allergies".

I hope this post prevents a possible allergic reaction.
Thanks
Camilla
DS-Allergic to peanuts/tree nuts
DH-Allergic to Soy Protein & Hazelnuts

Me-Ragweed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:04 pm 

Multiplemom, thank you so much for sharing this information. I thought all companies were required to share any ingredient information when asked due to allergies/health reasons? It makes you wonder what else is in something that they didn't feel they needed to share :scratchy .

The fact too that such a big company didn't understand the potential risks to customers scares me. This just shows again that we , the allergic community have to continually be on our toes and pick up on little things (such as a new cake causing your warning bells to go off) then do the research ourselves to ensure products are safe. :banghead

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:34 pm 

When my DD was very young 4 or 5, we were at the drs office for something. Anyway, we were seen by the anathese....(person that puts you out for and operation) and he was looking at her medic alert bracelet. On it we have listed dipravan and profoval. That we had this information and where we got it was very interesting to him as he said to me, "we don't like just anyone knowing this stuff." :roll: (I didn't feel I was "just anyone". Of course this was back in 1998 or so.....it had taken me some digging to find it, but I was one determined Mama back then when it was all new to me...internet and allergy.

Also, I've noticed in the book at Boston Pizza that it says not to show it to the customer :scratchy but I've only found it helpful and have never been refused when we've asked to look at it.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:16 pm 

Thank you for the information. I have not ordered from Dominos since learning of DSs PA, but considered them safe after carefully checking the menu. Now I know I will not be ordering pizza from them, and will stick to Panago, which we have found to be excellent in terms of allergy info & quality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 am 

Thank you very much for sharing this information. I will be forwarding it to our school as the hot lunch is usually provided by Domino's. I have ordered for work functions many times from Dominos' and know the staff by name so I will definitely let them know that until they toss the lava cakes I will not be ordering from them either.

Just shows you that we all have to stick together! Very glad that you were on the ball and saw the dessert listed.