You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 am 

Recently went to Boston Pizza and found their pizza dough now has a "may contain" for egg. :cry:

Apparently the change took place back in June but we hadn't checked the ingredients binder for awhile...thankfully during the times we've gone there from June to November nothing happened, but it was a subtle reminder to be vigilant every time.

I still think their allergy policy is one of the best but my 8 year old was pretty sad that he could no longer have the pizza.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Yikes! Good reminder.
Tell your child that I think homemade pizza is best.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:12 pm 

If they have tortillas or some other type of bread, naan etc. which could be made into pizza you could check if that is safe from eggs.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:24 pm 

Thanks Susan; we like homemade pizza too. I have always stressed he should focus on what he can have and not what he can't...but between us parents it sure does suck!

That's a great suggestion BC2007 I hadn't even thought of that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:50 pm 

I contacted Boston Pizza a few weeks ago to find out what triggered the addition of the warning. They haven't gotten back to me... I'll try again and post the results.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:51 am 

Confirmed. I contacted Boston Pizza and they in turn contacted the supplier. I asked for specifics of why the "may contain" egg warning. The supplier for the pizza flour is a "mixed facility" and contains, along with actual egg, dried egg albumen, dried yolk & dried whole egg.

Not the answer we were hoping for, but definately good information to have.

I was very appreciative of the info B.P. was able to obtain.

So, now BP is out but Pizza Hut is back in! ALWAYS check the ingredients - you never know.
M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 pm 

I wonder if they changed manufacturer, or just do a better job of labeling may contains?

In my search for safe pizza I went to BP with a friend so I could take time looking over the binder etc...although much more thorough/detailed than most places it is a little disconcerting that they list 'sesame seeds' under the peanut column. So when flipping through pages and looking down the 'peanut' column, many had a star for sesame seeds (?????). It is a little confusing to say the least.

I was going to take DS today, but the weather is quite bad. Maybe I will look into pizza hut as well, since they have updated their info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:16 pm 

Becky wrote:
... but the weather is quite bad.
is it ever!!
We have always ordered in from the BP here and never has DD ever mentioned anything....neither has BP even though we always say severe egg allergy. I guess I'll have to rethink and talk to DD. She will be sad. I was sure we just recently looked in that binder somewhere on our travels and had acually widened her choices in pizza. We always stuck w/plain cheese up until just a while ago and I'm thinking she thinks the only one not avail. to her was the thai. I guess I'm hunting for a new take out pizza too....maybe I'll try home made, freeze and send from home....ha ha....my family always said I should go into the business. That will work for places she is where there's an oven, but I sure need someplace to count on when she's travelling out and about w/friends. So many worries and now she's gonna fly soon (I mean from the nest) so great to enjoy this part of parenting but I sure wish we didn't have this issue to deal with. I hate when something we've counted on isn't working out so well....on the other hand, it's so nice to have the internet at our fingertips now.

mharasym, what does your DS order when he's out and about? I notice he is allergic to eggs.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 am 

Here are some quotes from the communications with B.P.

MH - "I noticed that recently the pizza crust at Boston Pizza now has a "May contain egg" warning, and I'm wondering what precipitated this change. Has there been a change in the supplier? in the facility where the crust or base is made? in restaurant changes? is the change regional or across Canada? (We're mostly interested in Manitoba & Alberta but also other provinces.)"

BP - "We have not changed our pizza flour mix, the change in the allergen labelling came from the supplier adding the “may contain” declaration on the ingredient listing on the packaging and we had to update our materials as the stores may cross reference the packaging and the allergy awareness binder. There are eggs in the facility, but not in the pizza mix."

MH - "The reason I was asking for clarification on the potential egg contamination in your pizza crust was so we can make an informed choice as to the true risk of his allergen in our circumstance. If there is egg in it's natural or liquid form in the same facility as your flour mix is prepared, the concern for us would be different than if the egg is in powdered form (i.e. egg powder, dehydrated egg, meringue powder, etc.) Is there any way this can be confirmed or clarified with your supplier?

BP - "We have heard back from our supplier, and have been informed that in the mix facility, they use dried yolk, dried albumen and dried whole eggs. Due to the processing restrictions, they alert customers of the potential presence of allergens using “may contain” statements within the ingredient declaration."

Based on this, I get the sense it is a labelling change.

As for how DS handles it, he ususally sticks to the familiar vs the new places and items - of course this BP thing has thrown us for a loop. He always explains his allergies and then figures out what is safe. He told me he recently went to Earls (new place) and it took several trips back to the kitchen to confirm ingredients. Ended up with steak and baked potato but had wanted a hamburger but that couldn't happen. In some some larger social situations he just won't eat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 pm 

Steak and baked potatoe, that is the stand by @ the keg. We have been to every keg in the city for years....the old one is our favorite!!! although we've been happy at all of them. A long time ago, there was a bad experience but they handled it wonderfully. We speak fondly of the staff at the time when we reminise. I often wonder about him. He was such a nice guy. I think he's probably done university now and out working at whatever it was he was going for.
Thanks for all the info, MH. I did check Pizza Huts website and am pleasantly surprised. We will check this out further as I believe we have one here in the grove It's good to have a place that kids w/not much $ can go when they are out and about. We also go to the Outback sometimes. She really likes the salmon there. Dairy Queen. double cheeseburger., but we only have the egg issue.
:thanksign

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:59 pm 

I'm sad to hear that about Boston Pizza. We were thinking of trying that restaurant out (me & DD & DS) have never eaten there before, given DD is allergic to all nuts/sesame and DS is egg-allergic. Will have to look at their other menu items more closely to see what else they could have when we do go there.

My children eat the President's Choice Wood Fired Thin Crust Pizza (all dressed) all the time at home. I have called PC on many occasions and the pizza is nut free and egg free. Just an option if you don't want to always make it from scratch. Just be sure to read the label each time you buy it (I'm sure you all do it!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:51 pm 

mharasym thank you so very much for contacting BP and posting their responses.

Interesting the dough hasn't changed but the labeling did :? Even though DS has eaten at BP since the change (unaware) and not reacted I don't think I can knowingly take the risk. They do have grilled cheese and I believe he can still have the pasta (will double check).