Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: HOF: Medieval Times
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:32 am 

Hi Everyone,
My daughter had a class trip to Medieval Times - which of course involves the experience of eating their food with your hands. Earlier this year, at one of her very few restaurant experiences (Disney), she had anaphylaxed due to cross contamination. As you can imagine, this had her very nervous about eating at a restaurant again.
I had been reassured by a very trusted school administrator that he was confident in their ability to manage multiple allergens successfully.
I have to admit, from beginning to end, I was really impressed.
I called and after speaking with the people who usually note the file, they advised that I should speak with the chef. I left him a voicemail and was extremely pleased when he called us at home in the evening on his day off to discuss our upcoming visit, concerns and specifics. The conversation reassured us and a few days later, we set out for the trip.
I spoke with our server who dealt with our needs in a very respectful and appropriate manner. My daughter's meal was served first, separately, and wrapped. The server was mindful as others were served around her.
Although my daughter started out nervous, and slowly tested the food she ended up having the whole meal and was asking if we could go back again as a family before we even left the building.
YAY! It was a great moment for us and I just had to share!

Post subject: Re: HOF: Medieval Times
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that your daughter ended up enjoying herself! It takes a lot of work, a leap of faith and an ounce or two of courage but when it works out well, eating out can be very empowering! :banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:07 pm 

Very true!
Thanks Susan
(it is the leap of faith that was especially hard after the anaphylaxing at a restaurant earlier this year...)
One baby step at a time :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 pm 

Great to read your "good news" story! I so admire/envy all of you with the courage to try restaurants, and I love reading your encouraging stories... one of these days we will try again. Our son has not wanted to try eating at a restaurant since his last anaphylaxis in a restaurant (Swiss Chalet) 2.5 years ago!! However, we have discussed recently trying the fries at McDonald's again (he anaphylaxed there as well) or Pizza Pizza - cheese only pizza. Takes lot of courage to eat out as we've had several bad experiences. Another bad experience was at a resort in northern Ontario where we had already been in contact with the head chef via fax and meeting upon arrival, and had anaphylaxis at his very first meal... ambulance arrived, emergency treatment required. However, this happened 8 years ago, so we've learned so much since then.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 pm 

Hi Julie - glad the HOF/good experiences help!
When our daughter had her reaction at Disney, it was only her 4th time ordering in a restaurant (with two of the other times being meals the prior days at Disney). I agree the challenging experiences really impact both trust and courage!
I think for us, the Medieval Times was a great way to gain confidence again as there is so much "action" that not all the emphasis is "food". The distraction of the show definitely helped along with her hearing from people 'get it' that they had confidence and seeing the diligence that MT takes for their special meals. Also didn't hurt that she loved the unit at school and didn't want to miss the experience with her classmates.
Good luck to your son and you on your journey!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:36 am 

Love hearing of great stories. You are doing a fabulous job of showing her how to live with her allergies :huggy