You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

The Allergy Eats blog just published their list of the "most friendly" restaurants in the United States. http://www.allergyeats.com/blog/index.p ... n-america/

Have you dined in any? What accommodations did you get that you haven't had elsewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 pm 

This is a good list in my opinion.

We have been to many listed and they are very good with accommodating our child's food allergies.

Of the list we have eaten at Red Robin, Burton's, Chipotle, Outback Steakhouse, Uno Chicago Grill, and Not Your Average Joe’s.

You asked how our experience is different there than other restaurants. The biggest difference is that the people who ran the restaurants understood food allergies and the dangers of cross contamination and how to prevent cross contamination. They had full ingredient information and procedures in place to handle food allergic customers. At least that was true in OUR experience. YMMV. Obviously a chain restaurant location is only as good as the people who work there.

I recommend anyone interested in eating out call one of these places ahead of time (when the restaurant isn't likely to be very busy) and speak with the manager and ask questions about whether they have foods they can make free of your particular allergens and quiz them on how they prevent cross contamination. You will know if you feel comfortable with what they are telling you or not.

At Uno's we have been told to inform them as soon as we enter and then they send over the manager and they take our child's order specially. They bring his food on a special plate.

Likewise, at Burton's and Not Your Average Joes they bring my child's food on a special place and the manager or someone other than who brings everyone else's food brings his food.

Burton's is my favorite of all these places and I think they are outstanding.

People talk about the 'Disney Experience' of eating out with food allergies at places that really 'get it.' That is what I have felt when eating at Burtons and some of the other restaurants listed above.

Chipolte had a procedure to be sure my child's food did not get cross contaminated while being made. They changed gloves, used extra tinfoil so his food wouldn't accidentally touch anything as it went down the line, etc.

Outback Steakhouse, the manager came to our table and took our order personally. He gave us his card and asked that if we are coming that we call him first and he will have the kitchen start prepping clean utensils, pans, etc in which to make our son's food.

Red Robin has a menu that shows which foods are free of different allergens. They do have a disclaimer warning but we have had good experiences there.

I started out not eating out ever with DS but restaurants like this make it possible for him to eat out. Our world is a little more open thanks to these places. I predict there will be more and more restaurants that accommodate food allergies, esp as people become more aware of Celiac. I find that restaurants that accommodate Celiac often also can accommodate food allergies because they understand cross contamination much better than others.

There are other local places where we have eaten that also accommodate food allergies, esp some pizza places that will make dairy-free pizza and have procedures to make it in a separate area and not xcontam it.