You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Booster Juice
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 pm 

I thought for sure this topic had been covered, but did a search so figured I'd start one. 8yr DD's running club was talking about nutrition today and planned a trip to Booster Juice to create healthy smoothies with spinach, fruit etc. The leader asked me if this would be OK and I found on their website that their whey powder and sorbets are a 'may contain' for nuts.

I went into the store ahead of time and they confirmed this, plus said some of the fruit (peaches etc) was only available in sorbet format, and not plain frozen fruit format, so not to get these.

They accommodated my request for a clean blender, and to make sure her smoothie wouldn't contain any of the ice cream, sorbet or whey powder. I was happy with this, and also bought DS a smoothie which he enjoyed. Yay! One more place to get a quick healthy treat when we're out.

Post subject: Re: Booster Juice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Admin

My daughter has been asking if they could accomodate her, thanks for the heads up! :thanksign

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 am 

So just an update after conversations among our local allergy group. Regarding the sorbet and whey powder that they state are a 'may contain' on their website, apparently it is made in a facility with nuts, but on dedicated lines, so depending on your severity and comfort level, may be OK with having them.

This was told to one of our parents by an employee who is anaphylactic to nuts and peanuts. You may want to ask them again to clarify this before partaking, but hope your daughter is able to enjoy their smoothies!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 pm 

The last time I checked the menu at a Booster Juice they had peanuts or peanut butter in at least one of their flavours, and I haven't been back since. Have they since removed this from their menu?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm 

Hmmm, I didn't see anything with peanuts or peanut butter on the menu. They do have something with kola nut as an extra 'booster' to add, but my kids have not tested positive to this. Not sure if it's considered a tree nut. They have granola / energy bars with nuts but these are packaged.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 pm 

Is it Jugo Juice you're thinking of? They have PB in one of their smoothies and don't say anything about nut/peanut allergies in their FAQs http://www.jugojuice.com/jugo-fun/ask-a-dietician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:03 pm 

I just wanted to say thank you Alison's mom for such an 'aware' response... :) From someone who does have to address whether allergens are in the facility, I really appreciated this!

Not to sound overly cautious, but I would also encourage others, if you are OK with the dedicated line BUT allergens are in the facility, it is never a bad idea to call and confirm if the lines remain dedicated. We have found that often the introduction of new products (or other factors not so easily identifiable) can result in changes to line dedication...

Quote:
apparently it is made in a facility with nuts, but on dedicated lines, so depending on your severity and comfort level, may be OK with having them.

This was told to one of our parents by an employee who is anaphylactic to nuts and peanuts. You may want to ask them again to clarify this before partaking, but hope your daughter is able to enjoy their smoothies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 pm 

Good point, Renie - thanks. I'm going to just omit the whey powder and sorbets, and just going with their regular smoothies in a clean blender.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:23 am 

It was definitely Booster Juice, but probably close to five years ago... I was at the Edmonton airport and there was an allergen warning on the menu that products could contain XYZ allergens, including peanuts, at the time. Nice to see that things have changed!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 pm 

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. I'm pleasantly surprised because soooo many smoothie recipes I see on the internet have PB or almond butter in them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:17 pm 

From their site under FAQ:

Quote:
While none of our products contain nuts as a listed ingredient, we do receive some ingredients from manufacturing plants that handle other products that contain nuts. Because of this, there are warning labels on our sorbets and on our Whey Protein indicating that they are manufactured in a facility that handles nuts. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that the slight chance of human error did not occur before the product reached our stores. We would recommend any of our customers with severe nut allergies to order a smoothie with no sorbet and no Booster, or to enjoy one of our freshly squeezed juices instead.