You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dairy Queen?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:43 pm 

Does anyone with a peanut/tree nut allergy ever venture out to Dairy Queen? After discussing potential risks with the manager at the Dairy Queen near our home, it seemed a plain vanilla cone would pose little risk - the ice cream itself does not contain nuts, and neither does the cone. Any comments would be apprecaited!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:34 pm 

Little risk is not RISK FREE. But then again, I'm a freak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:27 pm 

Julie, I had a friend with a peanut allergic daughter and she used to special-order dilly bars from Dairy Queen. The manager would ensure the bars were made from only freshly opened products and they were kept separate in the freezer for her until she picked them up. I, myself, have never done that and now that Chapman's make so many different frozen treats that are safe, I probably would not go to the trouble. Eating out is always a challenge because you have to rely on the integrity and competence of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:18 pm 

I'm with youngvader, I am a fanatic when it comes to avoiding nuts for my daughter. Dairy Queen is crawling with them, I wouldn't trust it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:03 pm 

I did ask them once, out of curiosity and was told that all surfaces and equipment are cleaned and double checked... but I still don't feel comfortable taking my peanut/nut-allergic child there. He's quite happy with all that Chapman's has to offer so I don't bother taking the risk. Too many nuts in all their desserts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:31 am 

Based on everyone's replies, we decided not to chance getting something at Dairy Queen. It's a bit difficult when you want to take an older non-allergic child out with her friends for a treat after soccer, but that's life....

Post subject: Dairy Queen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:13 pm 

My little man, 4, (peanut allergy) has eaten several times at dairy queen with the rest of my crew...
I do watch his order prepared, and no, I don't single him out, but he only eats the vanilla ice cream on a cone - no chocolate dipping no sharing his brothers blizzards. You can ask specifically for peanut free items (blizzards) the employee must/will clean the blender apparatus for you (a co-worker used to work at DQ, and I asked).

We travel and eat out frequently, he's never had a reaction. I guess we've been extremely lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 am 

Yes, you are playing with fire. And one day, you'll get burned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:02 am 

Unless an eating establishment is purposely created to be peanut/nut-free (of which there are very few), there is always a risk every time you eat out. But I am also a firm believer of balance. While others may prefer to avoid eating out at all costs, I also think that one must learn to make informed decisions, ask the right questions... and ultimately decide if they wish to frequent that particular establishment. I do not wish to keep my child in a "plastic bubble" and I will do whatever I can do to make him a part of society. And that includes making responsible decisions as to where he will eat. While I have made the decision not to frequent Dairy Queen, I would not criticize someone else's decision to do so, especially when it is obvious that the person has made an informed decision. I think alarmist statements serve no purpose other than to instill fear into people. I think it is important for all to express their opinions here, but there are ways to do it that don't alienate people from posting in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:02 pm 

I go in and watch for a few minutes. I watch how they make the different items. I zero in on where the nuts are and what they let get near the nuts. If I feel things are looking pretty good, I ask someone how safe it is to buy a cone if I have an allergy. If the worker stares at me like I just fell out of the sky, I don't order no matter how safe it looked.

No matter what you decide, never go there when it is busy or just after a busy time. If I really crave a blizzard or shake, I will go to DQ within minutes after they open. Each night they are required to thouroughly clean the equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:02 pm 

Storm, I agree with what you said above. It is pretty much how I feel. We make informed decisions and cannot let our children live in a plastic bubble. My son is peanut, milk and egg allergic so no matter how hard we try there have been and will be times that he is left out. It is not a good feeling for him, he is 8 and it is not a good feeling for me. It just tears at my heart when it happens. It does not happen often because we make sure of it. I leave food treats at his school in case something out of the blue comes up, his school has an ice cream social twice a year so I will buy the dairy free, peanut free for him so he has what everyone else has.

Julie, my son loves the kool-aid slushies. After soccor, all his friends stop for an ice-cream or slushie at the corner store. After reading the ingredients carefully and talking to the people on how it is prepared, he was so happy to be able to have it. We check everything and obviously you have to. It is the small things like this that make a difference in how our kids feel about themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:27 am 

Ditto ditto to the comments below from Storm & Bev about not making those who chose to make different decisions and take different risks feel guilty. We all feel guilty enough already, don't we, dealing with life-threatening allergies day-in and day-out. Just as one should never criticize someone else's children, or parenting methods, the same goes for criticizing decisions we make about whether or not to eat in a restaurant.

I, for one, don't particularly want to spend my life baking bread & cookies if I don't have to.

As for Dairy Queen, both my children are anaphylactic to nuts. We have a friend who owns a DairyQueen (not near us), and he says that if you tell them ahead of time they will make nut-free ice-cream cakes. We have done this elsewhere and have had no problems.

However, as for cones, you can also get them to dip them in a clean vat of chocolate, but walking into the place gives me the heebiejeebies because nuts ARE EVERYWHERE!! i.e, on the countertops etc. Also, the clerks say they know about allergies and they do touch the cones even though there are wrappers around them.
Also, one time I noticed that the nut crumble containers were kept above the sauces, therefore could easily spill onto them below. We have decided to stay away from that place, and choose MacDonald's instead.

Selina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:14 pm 

Better yet, invite everybody over and treat everyone to those wonderful ice cream cones from Chapman's. It's not worth it to take a risk over a bit of ice cream. It's also more economical! By the way, I wrote to Chapman's to let them know how we appreciate companies like theirs. I think it's important to recognize and underline their hard work.