Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Summer 2006 issue
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Just fyi, we're closing in on the cutoff date for the mailing list for the Summer '06 issue of the mag. If you haven't subscribed or you're due to renew, please do so soonest. Very newsy issue. Following was our news release. cheers, Gwen

Allergic Living focuses on Food Labelling; Smog

The soon-to-be released Summer issue of Allergic Living magazine will examine some important topics, including:
– Changes to Canada’s food labelling regulations on allergies that are finally set to go through;
– The growing evidence of a link between smog and the onset of asthma.

Also not to be missed in the Summer issue:
- Superb, “allergy-safe” BBQ recipes for family and guests;
- Hot Topics: Laurie Harada on cottaging safely with food allergies;
- The allergy-friendly picnic;
- Scientific advances on genes, eczema and allergy; new allergic cell discovery;
- Your hormones and your asthma;
- Ask the Allergists, with Dr. Susan Waserman and Dr. Wade Watson;
- Oral Allergy Syndrome and getting enough nutrients;
- Air travel: pets vs. the allergic traveller, and more.

To receive the Summer issue as part of a subscription, you may sign up for Allergic Living until the cutoff date of May 29. (And the magazine reminds those up for renewal of that same cutoff.) Just go to www.allergicliving.com and click the “Subscribe/Renew” tab. The issue will be in the mail in mid-June.

Inquiries should be directed to Allergic Living’s offices: 1-888-771-7747 (416-604-0110) or by e-mail: info@allergicliving.com. Please forward this message to others who may be interested.
[/list][/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:15 pm 

Got mine today! Looking forward to reading that article on the new labelling laws!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:23 pm 

That's exactly what I was thinking! Just have to find the time to read the thing...!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:25 pm 

Gwen -- I enjoyed your article on the new labelling laws and am happy that Health Canada is making strides towards clearer labelling for consumers. I really wish that these new laws would also address rules/guidelines regarding "may contains" - too much variation between manufacturers (I know, I know, one thing at a time :wink: ) Also wondering how or if health and beauty products fall under Health Canada's jurisdiction. I know that I can still find bottles of shaving cream, etc. without ingredients labelled. I understood that manufacturers of health and beauty products would be required to label ingredients by the end of 2005 (sorry can't remember where I read or heard this) Can you (or anyone else) shed any light on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Funny you should mention. Our beauty editor is working on an article about the new labeling rules on cosmetics/beauty products, which take effect in November (think I'm right on the month).

Re "may contains", what I found fascinating/disturbing were the experts' statements that the practice of manufacturers simply labeling with "may contain" to avoid possible litigation is reasonably widespread in North America. Fine, if the manufacturer thinks cross-contamination is a genuine concern, but what a lousy thing to just add such words to avoid dealing with people with allergies. And given our numbers, what a missed potential consumer audience.

Guess it's more reason to applaud the companies that do spend the dollars/take the time to implement measures to avoid cross-contamination. I feel thankful to those who think we're bothering with.

Do others have views of may contains?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:17 pm 

I find the "may contain" news really disappointing and upsetting to hear. I think I owe Mylène an apology from way back, because she stated something to that effect (that they were all just covering their butts) and I really didn't think that manufacturers were doing it that much, and said so at the time...

A speaker from CFIA told my support group (last September) that if there was a suspicion that that was going on that the company should be reported to the CFIA, because they shouldn't be doing that.

I guess if I had more spare time (haha) I would start calling companies that put "may contain" on their packaging to ask them what exactly it means and why they put it there....

It definitely limits what those with allergies can eat, and like you said, Gwen, it is a lousy thing to do if it's being done just as a way to cover their butts.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:07 am 

What I'd like to see increased use of is the warning "made in a facility that also produces products containing x". I feel that if we as consumers have that info, we can decide ourselves whether we need to contact the company for more info, or if we are comfortable to use the product. At least we're armed with the info and can decide on our own.
Btw, I'm planning to write to Catelli to suggest that they put such a notice re: egg on their pasta, now that I've learned they have egg in their factory. Will update once I get that letter written!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm 

appology accepted ;) I have yet to finish reading the article...

But still I am sure that they can find a great excuse as to why they should keep it there... I heard one many years back saying that they would not restrict what employees eat! ok... but don't they wash their hands and other good hygene habits? I just laughed at the response: " yes, but we are not as paranoid as those parents would like so we don't want to get sued!"

I am sure that they are not the only ones that can "justify" putting the label on... for the stupidest excuses but still kind of reasonable... :?