You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm 

Wanted to let you know that the Fall issue of Allergic Living is just starting to reach subscribers across Canada. (It will probably be a few more weeks before they arrive in the U.S.)

We have some compelling articles just in time for the back to school and work season.

Writer Janice Paskey takes an in-depth look at the daunting amount of food in the schools and how alarm has grown over the weight problems emerging in kids. She finds the better news that there are early signs of a swing toward nutrition in the schools, one that stands to benefit food allergic children. But naturally, there is also controversy since healthy snacks means further intrusion into what goes into a student's lunchbox.

For adults, we’ve delved into the world of asthma at the office and found that if you’re suffering because of dusty old carpets or even a colleague’s strong scent, you’re protected under human rights legislation and your company should accommodate you.

Also in the issue:
-- great allergy / asthma books for fall
-- Halloween safety tips from Anaphylaxis Canada's Laurie Harada
-- ways to “allergy-proof” the baby nursery
-- the scoop on the so-called ‘safe peanut’
-- peanut-free at the ballpark
-- how ragweed became the king of hay fever

And Gwen and I highly recommend (from sampling) our Food Editor's lunch recipes in "The Lunch Bunch".

If you didn't subscribe in time to receive the issue (end of July), you can get it at Chapters or Indigo outlets. We'll also have it available for ordering online by Sept. 10 if not sooner. (Go to homepage, click Subscribe/Renew, and follow the steps for a single issue purchase.)

Enjoy!

Claire
Associate editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 am 

I just got mine yesterday and dove right in as I always do! I plan to lend my copy to my school administration to read Janice Paskey's article. Heck I want them to read the whole thing and maybe they will get some of their "own ideas" on how to make some needed changes in our school. They are very into attempting to look like they are doing something on the healthy school initiatives, so this might get them moving in a positive direction!

Love, love, love this magazine!! wish it came out monthly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:16 pm 

I got an extra one this time because Medic-Alert of which I am a member sent me a freebie issue. It turned out to be a great thing because my mother was just diagnosed at age 60 with asthma! I have had it since I was a little kid, and she has been given inhalers in the past when sick, but after 4 days in the hospital with pneumonia they decided that she doesn't just have it when she's sick, she has it all the time and it flares up when she is sick because she hasn't been treating it. We didn't know all of this when my magazine came (I get all my mail at her house) and she called me when she got home from the hospital to tell me that she had been reading the spare copy I left there and it had a whole section on asthma. So, my extra copy did some good :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ficbot - sorry to hear about your mom, and unfortunately adult onset asthma is not uncommon.

Tracy - thanks for the kind words. I quite enjoyed working with Janice on her "food in the class" article. It was really thought provoking. I like the fact that, if the amount of "optional" and unhealthy foods in the schools end up getting cut back, it will benefit everyone from allergic kids, to overweight kids, to diabetic kids.

It's almost as if there's a "food culture" in the schools, with food rewards, food fundraising. Given the scary stats on both food allergy and obesity, I absolutely expect/predict we're going to see the issue of healthy school foods get pushed up the agenda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 am 
Site Admin

One of the sources in Janice Paskey's article was the Centre for Science in the Public Interest. They just graded schools on nutrition in Canada – and the results are not pretty.

Here's the press release:

Governments Feeding Childhood Obesity Epidemic by Allowing Sale of Junk Food in Schools
New CSPI Report Urges Pan-Canadian Nutrition Standards for Schools and Government Financial Investments in Nutritious School Meal Programs

OTTAWA (October 3, 2007): Most Canadian provincial governments are failing parents and students by endorsing the sale of junk food in schools, according to a new report released today by the Centre for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

“Childhood obesity is an epidemic in Canada,” said Bill Jeffery, CSPI’s National Coordinator. “Obesity causes terrible social and psychological problems for children and leads to serious illnesses later in life. Government has a responsibility to ensure that foods sold in schools are rich in nutrients and low in saturated and trans fats, salt, and added sugar. But all too often, provincial school nutrition standards allow foods such as ice cream, pizza, pretzels, candy, and cookies that are high in those unhealthful nutrients to be readily available in school cafeterias, vending machines, and tuck shops.”

CSPI’s report, Are Schools Making the Grade? School Nutrition Policies Across Canada, graded provincial school-nutrition policies according to how they compare to new nutrition standards for foods offered in vending machines and tuck shops recommended by the US Institute of Medicine in April. (The IOM standards have yet to be implemented in the US, but scientific advice from the IOM is often used as the basis for US and Canadian government policy.)

SCHOOL NUTRITION POLICY REPORT CARD

British Columbia, Grade - D
    Alberta (*based on draft guidelines), Grade *B
    Saskatchewan, Grade F
    Manitoba, Grade D
    Ontario, Grade F
    Quebec, Grade D
    New Brunswick, Grade D
    Nova Scotia, Grade C
    Prince Edward Island, Grade F
    Newfoundland and Labrador, Grade C
    Nunavut No standards.
    Northwest Territories No standards.
    Yukon No standards.

All provincial school policies fall short of those guidelines. Only Alberta, which has a draft policy, earned a “B,” and Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador earned a “C.” Four other provinces– British Columbia, Manitoba, Quebec and New Brunswick– just passed with “D”s. Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island largely failed to achieve the core nutrient standards set out by the IOM.

The average provincial and territorial government investment in school meals programs was just $5.54 per student in 2005/2006. The federal government contributes nothing. By contrast, the US federal government spends an average of $212 per student each year, 38 times more than Canadian government subsidies, per student. Increased government funding would allow schools to provide healthier foods in their cafeterias.

In an open letter, CSPI urged federal, provincial, and territorial governments to:

1. Develop and support the implementation of pan-Canadian comprehensive school nutrition policies that contain nutrition standards for all foods distributed in school and reflect Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating as well as the US Institute of Medicine standards.
2. Support the establishment of pan-Canadian school meal programs that are standards-based.
3. Conduct regular surveillance of school food policies and guidelines, food offerings, and student consumption, measured against benchmarks.

“The Standing Committee on Health concluded that today’s children may be the first generation for some time to have sicker, shorter lives than their parents,” said Jeffery. “Federal and provincial governments must do more to get junk food out of schools and help get nutritious meals into students’ stomachs.”

A copy of the letter to health, education and child protection ministers, and CSPI’s report, Are Schools Making the Grade? School Nutrition Policies Across Canada is available at http://www.cspinet.org/canada/