You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 am 

We thought you would be interested in knowing that the second issue of Allergic Living magazine will be published in mid-July. The main feature of the magazine is the “Essential Guide to Allergic Travel,” which lists allergy-aware hotels and restaurants in 12 popular North American tourist destinations – including Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, New York, Boston and San Francisco. Learn about "enviro-rooms" and other hypoallergenic accommodations. This “keeper” guide will also detail useful travel products for the allergic.

Allergic Living is the first Canadian magazine aimed specifically at people coping with food and environmental allergies, and published its first issue in the spring of 2005. If you’d like to subscribe and to receive the Summer issue as part of your subscription, you may still sign up before that issue’s cutoff date of June 23. Simply go to www.allergicliving.com and click the “subscribe” tab. Or you may call 1-888-771-7747 (416-604-0110) or email info@allergicliving.com.

Other features in Allergic Living’s Summer issue include:
* Olympian Simon Whitfield on overcoming his allergies;
* The strategies of three families who manage multiple allergies;
* Fabulous, safe recipes for patio dining;
* A primer on controlling ragweed allergies;
* The Green Cottage;
* Columns by allergists and experts, including Hot Topics, written by Anaphylaxis Canada’s Laurie Harada, and Nutrition by dietitian Alisa Bar-Dayan of the Hospital for Sick Children;
* The latest allergy products.

Last edited by Audra on Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:08 pm 

What do you mean by *overcoming his allergies*? Do you mean learning to live a full life and not letting them hold him back? Or some miracle cure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

AM,

Meant the former. I mean, the guy has won Olympic gold as a triahlete. Talk about "coping" with allergies. Simon gave an excellent interview to our senior editor, Laura deCarufel, and he really hasn't spoken much on the topic of his allergies before.

We're excited about this one; he's inspiring. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:35 am 

Excellent. :D

That's the kind of overcoming we need people talking about. The real kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:08 pm 

I would like to see in the magazine some contests especially ones that will do over rooms to be as allergy free as possible or even contests with small give aways...oh how about a contests that builds you a whole house LOL.
But it is just a thought about the contest. I know I love them and I'm sure other do to.
Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:20 pm 

I got the latest issue on Friday. Two things that struck me on first leafing through--
I was surprised to hear that there may be a benefit to allergies---there is some evidence (but not conclusive evidence) that having an overreactive immune system may mean that we have a tendency to get sick less often and that we have less of a chance of getting cancer. (this is from the "ask the allergist column").

But I've also heard that some people with allergies have immunological deficiencies. How does that work? Anyone know?

I found the tips on travelling helpful. I'm definitely saving this issue to keep the hotel recommendations on hand.

I haven't been on a plane for a very long time--I try to stay grounded if possible :lol: so I didn't even know that they are phasing peanuts out on many airlines. Has anyone tried to ask an airline for a peanut and tree nut free flight? How did it go?

One other thing...Has anyone tried the portable Bionaire Air Cleaner recommended on page 14?

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:40 pm 

I just got my summer issue the other day and I read it cover to cover that same evening. I do have one comment though - the majority of the travel recommendations are very pricey. I live in the Toronto area, and have traveled to many of the other cities mentioned, and I know the majority of those restaurant and hotel recommendations are way out of my price range. I would like to have seen more moderately priced suggestions and recommendations too. As much as I love Susur (big-time foodie here), $300 for dinner for two isn't practical.