You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Spring 2008 Issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 pm 

The cutoff date for getting the Spring issue of Allergic Living as part of a subscription is close: Thursday, February 28.

Talking About Anaphylaxis

In its coming Spring issue, Allergic Living magazine examines one of the tougher allergy parenting challenges: talking to kids about the risks of anaphylaxis.

Writers Gwen Smith and Janice Paskey survey parents and experts and discover that food allergic children are often reaching a level of anxiety that’s interfering with their lives and activities.

So how can parents head off fearfulness or deal with it as it arises? The writers get plenty of helpful advice from leading allergists and anxiety experts on what information is useful in preparing children to manage their allergies, and what may overwhelm them at different ages. The article also looks at stages at which kids are more susceptible to anxiety. If you’ve grappled with such questions, this is a not-to-be-missed issue.

Also in Allergic Living’s Spring ’08 issue:
- Laurie Harada of Anaphylaxis Canada, addresses a growing backlash against the food allergic community.
- Breaking News: scientists are close to having test to predict a person’s risk of anaphylaxis.
- Hay fever’s toll at work and school: it’s a lot more than the sniffles.
- The Allergy-friendly Garden: AL’s top 10 sneeze-free flowers.
- Spice It Up: Flavour-filled safe recipes for Spring.

To receive the Spring issue as part of an Allergic Living subscription, sign up or renew until February 28. Simply go to www.allergicliving.com and click the “Subscribe/Renew” tab.

Questions? E-mail info@allergicliving.com or call: 1-888-771-7747 (416-604-0110)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 pm 

I don't know how many issues are left in my subscrip. I thought they would automatically send you a renewal notice?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:51 pm 

Yes, if you are up for renewal we will send you notification. You're more than welcome to call in or email to double check how many issues you have left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Well, I couldn't wait until Earth Hour to open my Spring issue!

I want to thank you for the great artciles, Testing, Testing will be photo copied, placed in a page protector and added to my growing arsenal of information I keep about food allergies. This is such a concise description of the types of testing as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each one.

Donna's article on the last page (Parting Shots column) was such a perfect way of summing up the entire issue. After reading the magazine cover to cover I was able to close it feeling fully informed, energized and inspired to conquer the world.

I won't say more for fear of ruining it for those who haven't yet received their copy.

Great issue, well done!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much, Susan. Kind of you to say.

We did pour a lot of effort, a lot of late nights into this issue, so it's gratifying to hear you found it a good read/helpful.

Glad you liked the testing piece. That was the smart Jen Van Evra's idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am 

I just have a few minutes to write but I wanted to let you know that this issue was great. We received it Friday. The article on seasonal allergies is really timely for us. I think we still need to get a better handle on this issue for our daughter.

At 5 she had her first really terrible season. She had such a bad temper tantrum from being so tired, congested and just feeling miserable that I had to take my little son to the neighbours so that I could deal with her. Last year we used Nasonex, Patinol for her eyes and Reactine regularly and the allergy season was much better. This week, she is really irritable again with allergy season beginning and we are beginning the medicines again. With little children, it is so hard to sort out what is bothering them. They can't explain all of their symptoms well and sometimes a bad mood is just because of age. I really think though that she has sleep issues because of her allergies. We will have to discuss this with our allergist.

As well, the magazine makes us aware of products that are available for our special needs. We just ordered a Sharp air cleaner from Sears after reading about it in this month's issue. We researched it also and it has good reviews and the approval of the Asthma society. It was only 200 for a bedroom sized one. I am also going to look for the Enjoy Life trail mix. It looks great!

I am not done reading the issue yet but thank you for all of your hard work. The information is so helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:12 am 

I really liked the article on talking to kids. It has been one of my fears since my food allergies arose (as an adult) that if I go on to have kids, they will die of food allergies. The reassurances of the doctors in the article that as long as you carry the epi-pen, it is treatable, were very helpful.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words, Kate and Ficbot.

Just to let everyone know that the Spring issue is now up for sale on the site (from the homepage under subscribe/renew tab), and new info is also up on the homepage. This includes a new Sam's Story, updated "What's New", new feature excerpts.

And Susan, since you said this...

Quote:
I want to thank you for the great articles, Testing, Testing will be photo copied, placed in a page protector and added to my growing arsenal of information I keep about food allergies. This is such a concise description of the types of testing as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each one.

... I decided to get the Testing, Testing article put up as a downloadable pdf since I agree that it's a useful resource. So feel free to spread the word that it's there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm 

I thought the Risk Talking article was very useful. However, I was a bit surprised to see the photo of the mom holding an Epipen Jr on page 46. Unless I am mistaken, the child looks like he weighs more than 66 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

He was 60 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:59 am 

Gwen,

Thanks for the clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:21 am 
Site Admin

So I guess the camera really does add about 10 pounds?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb