You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to let all of you know that the Fall issue of Allergic Living (out in late September/early Oct.) is going to feature an ambitious undertaking - “Schools and Allergies, A Special Report: Are They making the Grade?"

If you haven't subscribed yet, if you do so by September 6, you can still get on the circulation list in time for this issue. (Easiest way: just hit the subscribe tab on this site.)

/Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Here's more on the Fall issue of AL from our media release:

In a national survey, Allergic Living examines the precautions afforded to allergic children in Canadian schools - from B.C. to PEI. Many school boards provide anaphylaxis guidelines, but are they enough? What new procedures are being implemented? Will Ontario's example of Sabrina's Law spread? To find answers, Allergic Living polled ministries of education, school boards, school nurses, and allergy experts and advocates to get the picture of how much is being done - region by region - to safeguard allergic kids at school.

As well, Cindy Paskey, Bill 3 organizer and NASK president, offers an invaluable guide to grassroots organizing (for those who want to pursue legislation in other provinces). Rounding out the package, editor Gwen Smith looks at “Allergic Teens, the Danger Years,” discovering the challenges of learning to shoulder complete responsibility for your allergies while coping with peer pressure, the cafeteria, and travel with your sports team. There is also an assessment of anaphylaxis preparations in U.S. classrooms.

Other Features in Allergic Living's Fall Issue:
- Environmental Allergies: expelling allergens from your house, room by room.
- Allergies to Pets: A comparison of cat vs. dog.
- Selected “safe” products: non-toxic cleaning products; non-reactive watches; itch-free sweaters.
- Fall's Bounty - from squash soup to lamb stew and apple crumble - delicious, “safe” recipes.
- Ask the Allergists and a new column: Ask the Dermatologist.
- Sensitive skin can be great skin.
- Nutrition column: Sesame Allergy - and how to avoid the seed in your diet.

Allergic Living is the first Canadian magazine aimed specifically at people coping with food and environmental allergies and asthma. To subscribe, simply go to http://www.allergicliving.com and click the “subscribe” tab. Or you may call 1-888-771-7747 (416-604-0110) or e-mail info@allergicliving.com.

[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:04 pm 

This was the first edition I have ever read and loved it. That is why i am now on here! Thanks for the insight :D .
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Shelley - so nice of you to say.

I did just mean those posts to be informatiive - hope it didn't sound like I was fishing for compliments for AL!

(Mylène, apologies for the gratuituous fish reference.) ;) Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:21 pm 

Gwen I really meant what I said. The articles were great and I was so thrilled by the magazine I decided to go to the website. I found the forum and have been reading up on lots of interesting posts and learning more as I go.
Thanks Again
Shelley