You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kid to Kid?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 pm 

My subscription to AL is just starting so I have not yet read an issue but I was wondering if there is much in the magazine that is kid to kid.

As a parent, it sure helped to talk with other parents about allergies. I guess I am thinking about one of those Q&A in other magazines. In kids' magazines I have seen where someone poses a question and then the next issue they publish a selection of other kids responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Walooet,

Thanks for a most interesting suggestion. Curious what others think.

If we ran something along those lines, would kids' read it in a mag. that's technically aimed at their parents (and adults with f.a.)? Would they be interested in e-mailing answers?

Walooet, fyi, you can get a sense of what's in Allergic Living magazine under "All Issues" - here's the link: http://www.allergicliving.com/issues.asp

Thanks for subscribing. Hope you enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:01 am 

Hi Gwen,

My daughter, Cayley, reads Allergic Living cover to cover - and she just turned 12. I think 'tweens and teens would be really interested in hearing from other kids. I know when we first joined the ranks of food allergic families I went from devastated to hopeful by reading 'been there, done that' stories from my peers at a support site. At one point, the site - aimed at parents and adults with FA - created an international pen pal group and Cayley got some great treats and letters from a FA buddy in England (thanks William!).

Kid to kid peer support could be just the ticket, it's a great idea! Pssst... it also gives parents insight into what FA kids are thinking and feeling... shhh... the kids don't need to know we'll be reading, too!

Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, it might be something to think about. Maybe a column or page to start...
It might be an initiative to start in the Spring, when...Allergic Living will be 5 years old!
I don't know how I would have managed the last 5 years without Allergic Living. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:12 pm 

Carolyn Black wrote:
Pssst... it also gives parents insight into what FA kids are thinking and feeling... shhh... the kids don't need to know we'll be reading, too!

Honestly I had not even thought of that but I completely agree!

It seems that many of the kids with FAs are wise beyond their years and it would be fascinating to read their insights. My daughter is a great writer but doesn't share much verbally about her allergies. I think it would be great for them to see what other kids are thinking or worried about.

A friend with twins said that at meetings they will share "The stupidest comments" such as "Are they the same age?" It would be really funny for kids with FA to share those. Or the scary moments or whatever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 am 

Quote:
It seems that many of the kids with FAs are wise beyond their years and it would be fascinating to read their insights. My daughter is a great writer but doesn't share much verbally about her allergies. I think it would be great for them to see what other kids are thinking or worried about.

That is so true, it is also true of siblings. Our daughter being 10 1/2 flips through the entire magazine, she doesn't read the entire thing but she does scan most articles. Not only is she obsessed with keeping her brother safe but now that allergies are part of our world she personally is finding the magazine interesting. She even looks at all the adds for new products etc. or recipes she will show me what looks good. I think a kid to kid section would be a great addition to the magazine. Hey, maybe kids who haven't read the magazine will take in interest at least in the kids column and from there they will have a peaked interest about other parts of the magazine.
From a column maybe they could move onto a page, a couple articles along with a drawing or two each addition. Once kids are aware or the section then I bet poetry contests , crazy new allergy product idea contests, their favorite recipe, etc. would do amazingly well.

Like Susan said, I can honestly say I don't know what I also would have down without Allergic Living the past 18 months.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:53 pm 

What a great idea for kids with allergies to connect with others who have the same issues. In all things in life it is great to meet others going through the same things. We help each other, understand each other, and just listen, and also can have a laugh where we both understand where we are coming from. Many of these young children are great at writing and I think it would be great for them to be able to express them selves and connect with others. Two thumbs up on this idea. :D