You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Summer Issue.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm 

I haven't had time to read through the magazine but I flipped right to the back to read your article Lisa. Really well done and a great perspective on growing up with allergies. And by the way....you are way to cute. :lol: All those dud dates, we know they don't deserve you anyway. Maybe we should have a match making section.....all us married gals can get our kicks setting you up. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Summer Issue.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:59 pm 

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I haven't received mine yet. I'm excited to read the whole summer issue. And by all means, if you know any good guys from Montreal, send them my way haha!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 am 

Another superb magazine edition. Every new product I thought was great and the articles are wonderful.

Re: Birth Month page 46.
Here's what I was wondering,. If fall/winter babies are more prevalent to allergies due to what looks like vitamin D exposure what about those children born in say Florida or California, extremely warm/sunny states all year round? It would be very interesting to see results. Our DS is a fall baby (born in Ottawa where we were indoors for months after his birth) and our daughter is a spring baby (born in Vancouver where we could be outdoors all year round) ....the theory holds true in our home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

:thanksign

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed the new mag.

Re Fall babies - Susan, didn't we have a thread going on this somewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Yes we did/do!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5495&hilit=winter

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 pm 

Both mine are fall/winter babies (november and february) still keeping our fingers crossed for our new little one though that she doesn't have any allergies! I'm wondering if maybe it was my fault for forgetting our older daughters vitamin D drops too often (it wasn't relaly that often, but you never know)

I was excited to see a section about Beef allergy, but then a bit dissapointed it only covered the adult onset version of the allergy that happens a fwe hours after exposure. I still don't understand my daughters beef allergy, I know it's to the proteins just like any other food but since it is so rare, I still have trouble believing it. She was scratch tested 2 or 3 weeks ago and her beef allergy spot was bigger than her milk spot (and her egg spot was HUGE), but I was kind of hoping this would be outgrown sooner. There is so little information on the uncommon allergies at times it's frustrating.

Lisa - not sure how old you are, but since i'm only 30 mins outside of Montreal I may have a few ideas...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm 

Finally read through the whole issue. What can I say? It just never disappoints. I really liked the article on Kristina Groves. In the past few years I have gotten really into environmentalism as well and it's really great to hear that it's not too hard to make changes and also nice to hear that she is aware of the impact her sport/travelling has on the environment and pays a green "fine" to make up for it.

Have to say, it was an amazing moment to see my name in print for the first time. I couldn't be happier that it was in this magazine. My mom and personal trainer cried when they read it! Mom wants to frame it :)

Cauger, I'm 22...thanks for thinking of me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, aww. The pleasure was all ours to have you in the magazine.

I loved your story. Too cool that mom and the trainer cried. Sniff.
More to come from you for sure!

:happydance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 am 

Thank you so much Gwen!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 am 

What I think I love the most is the overall positive approach A.L. takes to dealing with allergies in every day life. That regardless of allergies or asthma, you can go on to be an athlete, you can take a camping trip, you can still create sensational recipes. Allergy research, it isn't portrayed as too bad for us there isn't a cure yet but instead 'wow, look how far we've come'. I think that is why I get so excited reading through the magazine, reading about each new product and article I am left inspired and filled with hope for my son's future. Not only due to the fact that I realize more and more that his allergies won't define who he is, but also due to that so many people/companies are doing their part to make a greener world for him to grow up in.
Our DS isn't dealing with dairy but I bet for any parent who is (and has no treat ready and their kid is the only one sitting there without) a 50$ popsicle machine that is ready in 7 min.is worth every penny!!! I am amazed by what products are out there.