You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:12 am 

OMG, I just read Samantha Yaffe's column. I laughed so hard! How true is it. I was nodding my head yes the whole time I was reading it, because it's exactly how it is for us women in this allergic journey.

The subheading calls it a "frank take" and it is exactly that. Loved it, can't wait to read more from Samantha.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Nicole, Thanks, so glad you liked - and you beat me to the punch. I wanted to let everyone know that we've added Samantha Yaffe's column as a Web exclusive feature - she'll be writing for us six times a month on life as a mother of allergic kids.

AllergicLiving.com has also started a whole new Columns page - it's just up and running, and we'll be adding other columns from our back issues, and I do hope to add the occasional blog-style note myself.

Feel free to tell others you know about these columns - help us to spread the awareness and the conversation about living with allergies. If you know anyone who is Celiac, let them know about Shauna James's column, too. I think she's got a great attitude and a gourmet's love of food.

Enjoy, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:24 pm 

I loved the column too. At the moment, I have been having a particularly busy week and have had very little sleep. Not only do I have to accommodate my daughter's allergies but my husband has very bad seasonal allergies which leaves me with all of the yard work to do to keep him healthy. So today I was out raking the yard and mumbling to myself about all of the work I have to do. I guess I am not alone! It is good to laugh about it. Thanks for the great column.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:16 am 

Too funny. Reminds me of the time (last year) when I basically trashed our 9-year wedding anniversary weekend away by having one too many glasses of wine at dinner and then telling my DH (likely a bit too forcefully) that I need him to "step up to the plate" and start supporting me in my dealings with our school with regards to our son's allergies. I thought we were just having a "lively discussion", but apparently I was a bit over the top and DH didn't talk to me (much) for the next day or so...

We managed to smooth everything over and now he really does pull his weight with the school.

But I guess we're not alone in this unbalanced balancing act!! :lol:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 am 

Oh, but look at how much women have accomplished in this area! We voice our opinions, we make changes happen in a big way. Just look at Sabrina's law. Imagine what a better place the world would be if women organized and were just as proactive in other problem areas!

There's nothing like a Mama Bear protecting her young ones to make the world stop and listen!!! :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only