Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hacked and now repaired
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:24 am 
Site Admin

I know that some of you noticed that we were hacked on Wednesday by some fool calling himself (or herself?) the Turkish hacker. Travis, our webmaster, removed the photo that was slapped up on our boards and has applied the newest security patches from the boards' software developer.

Just to reassure you that none of this had any impact on our secure subscription pages (which are not related to the boards). The only casualty is that the Schools section has disappeared into the ether. This is really too bad as we've had some great discussions going there. Shall we get that one going again? We've restarted the topic, please do feel free to weigh in.

In case you wonder, Travis says that our profiles as members on the boards have not been compromised. The hack job doesn't appear to have been more than a ploy to gain attention. This hacker did the same thing to a number of boards that use the same software.

Travis adds: "I have no reason to believe that this has left anyone vulnerable to viruses or adware." He reminds, however, that it's always a good idea to keep your own anti-virus and adware software up-to-date and, aside from this incident, to run those periodically for good measure.

If anything else went missing that I haven't noticed, please let me know. Thanks! Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:20 pm 

thanks for letting us know. ( I'll keep a closer eye on my boards that are using this software ;) )

Mylène