You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:18 pm 

I was looking at some of the websites listed on the member list, as some of them have given me interesting links regarding allergy topics. Some of the recent members who have member names made up of scrambled letters ie.kjizlyukicg are not true members and have website links to rude sites or sites trying to sell meds etc. What a shame you have to watch out for such crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:39 pm 

I've been a member of this chat group for over a year now. Recently, if I happen to take a quick look at the newest registered user (appearing a the bottom of the main menu of the login screen), I've noticed, as soccermom has mentioned, that some of the new users have unusual (and not believable) login names (scrambled letters). I've been suspicious of some of the new users, and whether or not they were truly ligit. Obviously, I had reason to be suspicious. Can anything be done to screen new users, or is this the chance you take with any chat group?

This should alert all of us to be careful with sharing of personal information with any online chat group, even one as wonderful as this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:29 pm 

We're doing our best to stay on top of this, but please do email me if you see suspicious activity.

From what I understand from our Webmaster, this is the chance you take with this kind of forum. We don't individually screen each new member, but by virtue of having people confirm their registration by clicking on a URL within the confirmation email that is sent to them we weed out some "automatically created" "members".

K.