You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Summer Salads
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm 

My friend made a great pasta salad for a BBQ she knew I was attending which was free of all my kids allergens. My kids did not eat it, she knew they would not, but it was all about safety and avoiding accidental exposure. Some people get it, she is also allergic to deet and will go into shock if around it...so in return she appreciates my bug bracelets and natural repelent. Its all good :D.

I had to share the recipe...it was AWESOME, and can easily be adapted to remove problematic cucumbers or peppers...and I used tinkyada tri-color rice pasta when I made it...so mine was even wheat free.

Quote:
Pasta Salad

2c. bow-tie / shell pasta
2 ripe tomatoes, diced and chopped (I seeded them)
1 green onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 c. diced cucumber
2 celery stalks, diced

Cook and cool pasta in cold water. Drain. Mix in vegetables.

Dressing:
2/3 c white sugar
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp salt
1/3 c. ketchup
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika

Blend dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and mix. Refrigerate.

Can be made day before. Can double recipe. Do not need to double dressing.

I made it tonight 'cause I needed a fix of something new (sure the kids did not eat it, but sometimes mama needs to enjoy her food too). I only had green onion and lettuce (not even in the recipe) and it still turned out fantastic.

Anyone else with good summer/picnic salad recipes?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:41 am 

I have one that is so simple and doesn't need dressing. A cook I used to work for would make it all the time because it was so simple.

All it is spinach and oranges mixed together and served just like that

You can use fresh peeled oranges cut up, manderine oranges what have you, or if it there's no problem with the packaged tangerines you can use that and use the syrup as well to add a little bit to the spinach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:29 pm 

Saskmommy, I too have made that made salad, and I love it. here is recipe for potato salad, it is creamy like a typical salad, and you would be hard pressed to say it tasted like it was made with soy.. Prepare potatoes, add, chopped celery, radishes, and dill. For the sauce comine 1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
salt and peper to taste
This recipe calls for three eggs to be added to the sauce, I add thre Tbs of flour.
Bring this to a boil
Once this come to a boil put it in the fridge to cool, and then mix in soy sour cream, go by tast to determine how much sour cream, I use about 1/2 cup. Mix the sauce with your prepared veg, and put in the fridge until ready to serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:51 pm 

Thanks Saskmommy - I've been looking for a simple pasta salad and will try that out. My kids will likely only eat the pasta and not the veggies, but like you said, it's all about it being safe. At least it's something they can TRY if they want to! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:52 pm 

Karen,

After having that salad for the first time last saturday...I must admit I have made it TWICE in the last 5 days! Once with tinkyada tri color spirals and once with shells. And, I am the only one who eats it...so that is an entire batch all to myself...TWICE. It makes a great lunch, supper, lunch, supper for me (TWICE) while the kids eat the stuff that I am sick of and they can not get enough of (plain rice, muffins etc.).

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm 

Well, I made it, and my husband and I loved it. It's such a nice mix of crunchy veggies and noodles. And the dressing is really good - kind of a home-made Catalina, I'd say.

The kids didn't like it, but I'm not surprised. I made a veggie-free (i.e noodle-only) version for them and of course it wasn't the same taste combo. I will keep trying, though. Or maybe not. Their loss, and more for me. :)

Thanks for the recipe!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:17 pm 

Saskmommy, I made your salad recipe on the weekend, and my whole family loved it - including my kids!! Thanks for the recipe!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:24 pm 

I have almost the same recipe also and we all like it too. Our recipe calls for red onion which is a nice addition also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 am 

bump

Post subject: potato salad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:51 pm 

I had my son's birthday party a couple of weeks ago and a few of my friends politely asked if I could make my potato salad. It's delicious - make a lot so you have leftovers the day after!!

Boil potatoes with the skin on until tender, when tender, peel off skin and cube potatoes in a bowl.

Saute together:
olive oil, red onion and red peppers (about 2 of each - more for larger quantities)

Add sauteed mixture to potatoes and mix

Chop up some black olives and add to potato mixture.

Add some white vinegar and a few tablespoons of VEGANAISE - put in fridge to cool down.

Enjoy!
boys' mom