You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:32 pm 

Curious about the name - it will become apparent shortly!

These Cinnamon Buns require no baking knowledge or skill what so ever! The only caution, keep the recipe handy if you serve them to anyone outside your home - guaranteed you'll be asked for it!

24 Frozen Dough Balls (These are available in the freezer section of your grocer (Safeway has them), with the frozen pie crusts, filo dough, etc. They are about the size of golf balls and may be called Frozen Dinner Rolls.)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Vanilla Instant Pudding Powder (do NOT prepare the pudding - you use just the powder)
1-2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Raisins (optional - I prefer without)
1/2 Cup Melted Butter (Go for the gusto, don't use margarine!!!)

Just before going to bed the day before you want to enjoy these little pearls of joy, do the following.

Grease a bundt pan. If you don't have one, two loaf pans will do, but the effect won't be quite the same. Place the frozen dough balls in the pan - spacing as evenly as you can. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients in order onto the frozen balls. DO NOT STIR! Cover with a damp tea towel (not one you're very fond of as it will get stained with the cinnamon). Let stand overnight as you go to the "Land of Nod". Have a restful sleep.

In the morning when you wake up, the buns will have risen to the top of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350. Make coffee. Bake the buns for 25 minutes. Read the paper or crawl back into bed. Remove the buns from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Invert (tip over) onto serving platter. If you don't let them stand 5 minutes, the butter goo will be runny. If you let it stand longer, it will all stick to the pan. 5 minutes seems to be the happy medium.

Wait a few more minutes before letting the scavengers in. Just pull off the buns and keep plenty of napkins near by. Enjoy. These have become another Christmas tradition in our home. As well as Easter, Thanksgiving, birthday, etc, etc. I also take them into the office for a special treat for my co-workers. Note: This recipe is also egg-free if your buns do not have egg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:13 pm 

We absolutely love this recipe... it makes a great dessert too! Very impressive looking, and very easy! I'm making these for Christmas Eve dinner tomorrow evening at my sister's family home. There are a lot of people coming for dinner tomorrow evening, so I've made a double batch.

Like any recipe, you can adjust to suit your own taste. We use less vanilla pudding (less than 1/8th cup) and only 1 teaspoon cinnamon. My mom is allergic to soy, so I'm making her a mini-loaf pan without the vanilla pudding (it has soy in it).

I couldn't find frozen dough balls, so to make a single recipe, I make a 2 lb loaf of bread dough using our bread maker, then place 24 dough balls into a greased bundt pan and freeze them. You can do this way in advance of needing them - I made them about 1 week ago. About 8-10 hours before serving time, I pull the bundt pan out of the freezer, and top the dough balls with the rest of the ingredients. Very easy!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:36 pm 

Raising just in time for Easter Sunday.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:50 am 
Site Admin

:D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:04 pm 

Our family (and guests!) love this recipe. I make it quite often as a dessert. We have friends coming this weekend and I'm making a double recipe. I make the dough in advance, form it into 24 balls, then place them into a greased bundt pan. The day of the event, I pull out the frozen dough balls first thing in the morning, put all other ingredients on top, then let it thaw and rise all day. When we are eating dinner, I put them in the oven, and we eat hot/warm cinnamon buns for dessert. Everyone loves them and they can't believe how easy they are to make!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:54 pm 

These sound awesome for a christmas morning tradition. Will try it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 pm 

I've made these three times now, and they've been a hit every time. I even add 1/3 whole wheat flour in an effort to 'healthify' them, and they're awesome.

Also, I've been too lazy to go out looking for vanilla pudding, so just use Earth Balance margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon and a bit of vanilla extract.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:51 pm 

The pudding powder provides a little thickening of the sugar and butter - its less runny . . .I've done it with butterscotch pudding too. The hardest part of this is finding the frozen dough balls ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:04 pm 

Thx! I use breadmaker dough to alleviate going out to look for frozen dough. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:18 am 

I make this every year for Christmas morning. With fruit and an egg to feel like we are not only eating sugar. :thumbsup
I have used vanilla and butterschotch as well.
I always use the frozen dinner rolls from safeway. It is the safeway brand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 pm 

I'm making these on Christmas day too, but for after-dinner dessert! We have 3 separate family Christmas dinners, (we are hosting one of them, and going to 2 others) and I will be bringing these to one of them. They are always a hit, everytime I serve them. You know how when it's dessert time, and everyone always thinks they will only eat a little? Well, not with these... they are devoured everytime! If I have a dozen or more people, I find we need a double batch because 1 batch is not enough! I will use 2 bundt pans, and bake them after the dinner comes out of the oven. Talk about delicious - warm cinnamon buns!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:02 pm 

So yesterday I was thinking I might just shake things up a bit and make something different. I had not said anything about a new brunch item. My son was doing a project for school that had them talking about things they do/have every christmas (tradition) and the "Land of Nod" cinnamon buns was one of the things he mentioned and he was adamant that YES we have to have them! I guess I better make sure I have all I need because I'm making Land of Nod cinnamon buns for Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 pm 

Love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm 

Bump! I came on here to look for this recipe again. Making them tonight for a Christmas breakfast treat!