You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Argh!!!! Rice!!!....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:39 pm 

It's everywhere!...Whenever I find a good gluten free (or whatever else free...for that matter..) recipy, such as bread (desperately looking...)or cookies, etc...There is either rice and/or corn flour (I'm in Aw everytime I see it seems to take 3-4 different kinds of flour to substitute all purpose flour....)...And I have no idea what to substitute them for, but mostly in what amount for each....

Anyone has a good bread/bagel recipy that would be wheat/gluten, corn, rice free?...No legumes either please...Or got any rules to follow for substitution?...

I'd really appreciate it....

Got two Christmas parties coming up; one my husband will probably cater, but I don't want to be the only one not eating sandwiches...I can't see myself eand all the questions if I only show up to eat vegetables with my personnal portion of quinoa salad...And Lord knows I won't be eating anyhing else...the other one, catered by a hotel...so far the menu s an all around no no for me...I don't even think i'll go....even if the organisers say they (hotel's staff) can accomodate people with allergies...I just don't think they'll be willing to be that accomodating....

Well, think about for bread recipies?...pretty please?...

Thousand thanks...

France: Allergic to: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster. Intolerant to: nuts, peanuts, soy, rice, apples, milk products, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, vegetable coating on caplet form or gel caps medicines. Overly sensitive to all acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:22 am 
Frustrating, I know.

I developed this recipe (which led to many great developments) and have gotten hundreds of excellent reviews.

Just sub. other starches for the corn starch (potato/tapioca/corn can all be interchanged). The flour mix is very forgiving. Use whatever you like best.

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

Let me know if you have any questions about that or anything else.

Laurie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 am 

Hi Laurie!

Thanks so much for the recipy!...But garfava flour is, from what my researches tell me, made from beans or legumes...I can't have that...what can I substitute it for?...What about the gluten free flour? I'm yet to find a mix that does not contain rice and/or cornand I guess I an skip the flaxseed right? or would that cause problems in the texture of the bread?...

Could I substitute, for exemple, quinoa flour (for gluten-free flour), buckwheat (for garfava flour), potato starch is ok (just have to buy some...) and quinoa starch (I think I remember seeing that somewhere, must buy...) for corn starch?...

Thanks for your help and all advice you can give me...I really appreciate it...

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:32 am 
Can you have tapioca? I don't know if I've ever heard of quinoa starch.

For the flours, for the first part, the flour mix, I would probably do 3/4 cup of a flour (say, quinoa), then an extra 1/2 c. of starch. For the garfava, yes a denser one like buckwheat would work well.
Leaving out the flax is fine, but just watch your liquid - you might need a little less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:55 am 

I did buy tapioca flour(forgot...)... but never had it before....so don't know if it's ok...I'll follow you measurments for the flour mix (thank you so much!) and since I don't have starches of any kind, I'll have to go and buy some when the snow storm finally gets here and lets out...Maybe I imagined the quinoa starch...Wiould Quinoa flakes do instead of the flaxseed? If not, how much liquid should I cut?...

I'm taking good notes...this could very well become THE BREAD for me....

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.