You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The best tofu scramble
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:24 pm 

In an effort to expand our breakfast repertoire I've been experimenting with different tofu scrambles, and I think I've found a winner. This recipe does have dairy in it, but could be made suitable for milk allergies by substituting the cheese sauce for one like this:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes ... cipeID=122

Basically you make a cheese sauce. I start with a basic white sauce, adding a wedge of onion to it while it cooks and thickens. I add salt, pepper and dry mustard powder to taste, and then after removing the onion, whisk in a couple of handfuls of sharp white cheddar.

For the tofu scramble, I saute onions until translucent in a bit of butter or oil, then add a minced clove of garlic, a couple of cups of sliced mushrooms, about a tsp of dried oregano and a 1/4 tsp of turmeric. Saute for a couple of minutes, then crumble in one package of firm tofu. Continue to saute until heated through and then add about a 1/4c. of the cheese sauce. Cook and stir until the tofu has absorbed the sauce, and then add another 1/4c. of sauce. Continue adding sauce and letting it cook in until the scramble is a nice "eggy" consistency. Season liberally with salt (and I mean liberally, a good dose of quality sea salt will make all the difference in how this dish tastes...I don't think it would be very good with regular iodized salt) and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired and serve.

This is the best breakfast I've had since we went egg free. I've tried other tofu scrambles, but the addition of the creamy sauce makes this one really, really tasty. And the variations you could do are endless...peppers, sausage, ham, broccoli...

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema