You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am 

These make large airy buns which we found perfect for hamburger buns. They take a lot longer to rise than standard home made bread but other than that they aren't any more difficult to make. Be sure to spread them out on a cookie sheet as they will rise a great deal.

Mix and let stand for 10 minutes
1/2 cup hot tap water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. yeast

Mix in a large bowl:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. vinegar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs beaten
OR for egg replacement - equivalent for two eggs I used
(mix first together in a small container)
3 tbsp. water
3 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. baking powder

-Mix in 2 cups of flour to shortening mixture - then stir in yeast. Continue to add flour (an additional 5-6 cups) until dough is soft but not sticky.
-Cover and let rise in a warm place for two hours.
-Knead and form into buns, place on a greased cookie sheet.
-Set wide apart as buns will rise a great deal.
-Cover and let rise another 3 hours.

Bake 400 for approx. 15-20 min.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Re-raising BC2007's recipe.

Excellent to know with summer bbq's coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:50 am 

I used the same recipe a few times for hot dog buns. To my families amusement each time I've gotten closer to the right size. They rise a LOT so I ended up with sub buns instead of hot dog buns the first time I baked them. :D

I actually have some rising right now and on a standard cookie sheet I rolled out 6 hot dog buns across each row with two rows fitting on a cookies sheet. When rolling the dough into snakes don't make them fatter than, say a large hot dog or they will rise too much and be huge.
The recipe is light and airy and everyone loves the hamburger buns. One batch makes 12 hot dog buns and 12 large hamburger buns.

......I just baked them and the hot dog buns turned out perfect. Baked they are approx. 17x4cm and are an actual hot dog bun size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:28 pm 

Thanks for the recipe! I just had to make an account here so I could thank you for it. I have been looking for a good bun recipe, because I have some awesome hamburger recipes already. However, I wanted to make them the best they could be. Store bought buns can do it, but these home made ones COMPLETELY knock their socks off! And like BC2007, I had a few massive buns. :lol: I had some HUGE circles. But my next try was pretty successful. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm 

Hi there Greggypetty, welcome to the site :D . I'm glad you liked the bun recipe, I think the best part of the recipe is not how good they taste but the entertainment factor in getting the size right.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:36 am 

Ok, I had to share, after a year (and a brainwave) I have mastered the hot dog bun....same recipe as hamburger buns. :banana

The easiest way to get perfect sized hot dog buns is to use a brownie pan, approx. 7" by 11" pan. Form dough 'snakes' about the thickness of a large size hot dog and put them into the greased pan brownie pan....if you put 7 buns in the pan they will be slightly bigger (thicker) , I put 8 last time and they were perfect. This way they stay the length you want them and they are forced to rise up. :happydance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:51 am 

Excellent idea of the pan to use. I'll have to try that.

I've made a few accidental discoveries this year.

I use a recipe I have for buns -- but I switched to brown sugar instead of white. They rise better and are much airier.

For hot dog buns, I use a french stick recipe. I break it into smaller balls, roll with a rolling pin, then roll them up like jelly rolls. These make great hot dog buns -- or a bit larger and they make great sub-buns

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 pm 

I am definitely not a baker....but I will have to try this recipe. Thank you BC2007 for posting this, and to the others for sharing your experiences with this recipe to help with the process!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 am 

Sanrio, I think that many of us would never have considered ourselves bakers before dealing with allergies. If something doesn't work the first (few :D ) times don't become frustrated. When I say 'try this' in our home I tend to get groans and very sceptical replies of 'what is it' . This was very true in my salad dressing creation stage. :rofl
You will soon find you are a baker, a cake decorator, an inventor .......................... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Or mad scientist! We don't say we're going to make something, we say we're going to try to make something!

Dd and I tend to break food down when we eat it. "Oh, look! See how the dough was rolled onto itself to get that shape?" or " I wonder if we could get a similar affect to that cream sauce if we used soy yogurt and um, soy cheese?" "I like this dip but it's too watery, let's add some soy cream cheese."

If you get the Food Network channel on TV, check out Chef Michael Smith's shows. We like his approach to cooking. It's not rigid formulaic cooking. It's a celebration of tastes, textures and how the ingredients play of each other. http://www.chefmichaelsmith.ca/en/home/default.aspx

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:14 pm 

BC2007

I made these buns today and they were amazing!! So light and airy. Have you ever tried to freeze them?

Thanks,
boys' mom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 pm 

I can happily tell you that if you freeze them they are just as light when thawed. :swing Glad you liked them.