You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 am 

Hi! I am a newbie with a pretty hard core sulfite allergy...looking for something to EAT..I am hungry! LOL Anyone share the allergy and have some recipes? I have a great potato and kale salad to offer up anyone...-Heather

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 pm 

I have a moderate sulfite sensitivity. The bad news: Avoid bottled and canned drinks, juices, sauces, dressing, and fruit. Also avoid pre-cut potato products (aka frozen french fries and some potato chips, etc). Gelatin also contains sulfites, so say buy to jello and store-bought preserves. Avoid fermented products such as wine, beer, pickles, etc. Depending on your level of sensitivity, you may be able to have wine that has no added sulfites, but any product containing yeast will have small amounts of naturally occurring sulfites, so know your personal limits. If you can have it, I recommend Badger Mountain Reisling.
On the more positive side, you should be able to enjoy any fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, and seafood (except shrimp, which are gassed at the docks). This time of year, I especially enjoy grilled summer squash with chicken and my homemade yogurt sauce. While the veggies and chicken are grilling, I grate a cucumber into a cup of yogurt, finely chop a bit of celery, and stir in a squeeze of FRESH lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Try grilling corn in the husk. Trim off the silk that sticks out the top and loose leaves. Then grill on high turning as needed until the husk in charred in places. Remove the ears from the grill and wait until they are cool enough to handle. Then peel off the leaves. The silk slips easily from the ears of corn once it's cooked.
I also made my own strawberry preserves. See my blog http://foodieallergycookbook.blogspot.com for the instructions for the preserves and how to make a supper good smoothie that you can also turn into popsicles.
The leftover syrup from the preserve recipe can be added to milk to make strawberry flavored milk, or you can add the syrup to carbonated water to make your own soda.
What foods do you miss being able to eat? Maybe I can help you create some recipes.