You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:38 pm 

Don't be fooled by the name. Although "Skor" bars in the store have nuts, this recipe is totally nut/peanut and egg free. I wouldn't suggest making it too often though - it could be dangerous to your hips!

Ingredients:
35 Salted Soda Crackers (Premium Plus, Saltines, etc.)
1 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips or 3/4 cups each Chocolate and butterscoth squares
Cooking Spray (non-stick, like Pam)

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread out crackers salted side up on sheet.

In a saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to boil. Boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour over crackers, covering completely. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until very bubbly. Watch it doesn't burn. When entire surface is bubbling, remove from oven. Cover crackers with chips. Let stand 5 minutes or until chips are melted. Spread melted chips to cover crackers. Refrigerate or freeze to harden. Break or cut into pieces.

IVariations: You can also Graham Crackers for the saltines for a slightly different flavour. You can also chop up Smarties or other safe candies, and sprinkle them on top of the chocolate after you've spread it out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 am 
Site Admin

:D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 pm 

We will try these :swing

Have you tried parchment paper instead of foil with spray? We buy it in bulk at Costco now and use it a lot!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am 

We've made these too, and they are YUMMY! Skor Bar is one of my favorites (well, it used to be :wink: ) and I have to say that these "Skor bars" pass the Skor bar taste test - it really surprised me. They are quick and easy to make.

I like your idea of parchment paper - I haven't tried that, but I will! I think I would cut a sheet to exactly fit the pan I'm working with because the crackers go right to the edge, and it would be easier if the bottom surface doesn't have crinkly parchment paper going up the edges.

Speaking of Premium Plus crackers... in the past, I would buy either Premium Plus or No Name (from Loblaws). Warning: the No Name crackers now have "may contain" for many things, including peanut, etc.!! I hope the Premium Plus crackers will stay safe!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 pm 

I use parchment for lots of things (all my cookies) but for this I use foil.....the the bottom gets very firm and you need to peel the foil off the back of the bars, I'm not sure how parchment would react. Maybe I'll use whole wheat crackers this year and make them healthy :rofl
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 am 

We used to make this recipe (with almonds) for Christmas pre-allergies. I am thrilled to see this recipe, as it reminds me that I can still enjoy my family's traditional Christmas goodies with only minor alterations! Thank you for sharing!