You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 am 

my sons birthday is coming up this weekend.. and we are had a great idea for his cake, but realized with new allergies, we have the dilema of how to decorate it.... we need to be able to color some of it green and red.. and have some chocolate for the volcano part.. so need a white icing and a chocolate icing recipe??? any ideas?

one thought was whipping cream, but what to add to it to stablize it? gelatin? someone have a recipe how to do that and does it work?

and that will probably be too fluffy to decorate the volcano part plus not make it dark enough, so any ideas on icing for that?

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, all are much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:16 am 

Can you use Crisco shortening? I mix 1 cup shortening with about 4 cups icing sugar, 2-5 tablespoons of soymilk, 1 tsp vanilla. To make it chocolate, add 1/2 cup cocoa and mix altogether. If it is too liquidy, just add more icing sugar.

Maybe you can go to the dollar store and buy little green trees, dinosaurs, boulders, to put at the base of the volcano.

I've used Nutriwhip before and added icing sugar to help stiffen it. If you have a kitchenaid mixer, it really does whip it firmly.

Hope this helps

boys' mom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I think icing sugar has cornstarch in it... :scratchy
You can make your own powdered sugar by whizzing it up in a blender (or food processor but it might scratch the bowl).
Here's a recipe:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condim ... _Sugar.htm

Can you use tapioca starch in place of the cornstarch? Maybe try it in advance.

BTW- if you melt some safe chocolate chips and stir in some shortening (about 1 tablespoon of shortening per cup of chips) you can pipe this onto wax paper into desgins and freeze. These can be used to decorate the cake. Also you can pipe directly onto the cake.

Pipe but spooning the mixture into a plastic zip lock baggie and cut off a corner to make the opening. You can simply toss out the baggie afterwards.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 am 

thanks for the suggestions.. yes icing sugar has cornstarch in it, so we could not use it... but I did make my own by throwing some regular sugar in the magic bullet.. added a little bit of tapioca starch to it to give it that extra thickening agent... made a whipping cream icing stabilized with gelatin and it turn out awesome, even managed to pipe it on to the cake it was that stiff.. help till the next day in the evening... and my kids actually ate it which is a bonus cause they dont ever eat the icing off a cake, well till now... think its now my favorite icing recipe to use and safe for my kids......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Yeah! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb