You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 pm 

Today I made this on a whim and I'm so glad I did. it was so good I/we ate it all and I forgot to take a photo of the recipe in a bowl.

Anyway, this chili recipe, like the subject line says is very adjustable. If you can't have a certain veggie or spice, or simply like a different spice change it to whatever you personally like.

Here's how I made it. Note: I used Dried Packaged Pinto Beans. I will explain in a second post how to properly cook Pinto beans.

Ingredients:

Half a Red Pepper
1 Stalk of Celery
Half an Onion (Spanish is what I used)
3 Button/White Mushrooms
(roughly) 2 1/2 cups of dried Pinto Beans
(roughly) 3 cups of Cold Water
1/2 cup of Tomato Juice
(roughly) 1 pound of Ground Beef (exclude beef for Vegetarian version)
1 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Butter (can be excluded for those allergic to dairy)

Cut your veggies very finely. I cut the celery stalk first into small u shaped pieces then cut those u shapes in half.

In a large frying pan heat up some olive oil, no measurement, just make sure its evenly coated and turned on medium heat.

Once the frying pan is hot enough add your veggies and saute them for roughly 15 minutes. if some of the veggies had small amounts of black on them, don't worry, keep them.

As your Veggies saute, in another frying pan heat up some olive oil, no measurement, just make sure its evenly coated and turned on medium heat.

Once the frying pan is hot enough add your Ground Beef to the frying pan. Lightly mash up the beef with a fork until all pieces a somewhat evenly mashed/cut up. Add a pinch of salt and a few cranks of pepper evnely on your beef. Then evenly spread 1 teaspoon of Oregano. Turn your beef every once in a while making sure it cooks evenly with no pink or burnt pieces showing. Roughly 15 minutes or so.

Towards the end of cooking your beef add a small amount of Butter. I added roughly the size of half a thumb. Try and get all pieces of beef to touch the butter before it melts.

Once the beef and veggies are ready turn off the heat.

Put your pre-soaked Pinto Beans in a strainer. Rinse the beans with cold water then add it to a medium to large pot. Add roughly 3 cups of Cold Water until the beans are well covered. Cover the beans and boil them on medium to high heat.

Once the beans have boiled add 1/2 cup of Tomato Juice into the pot. Add your Veggies and Beef into your pot and gently stir. You may have to add a few more drops of water, I think I added another 1/2 cup of cold water to make sure all my ingredients were well covered.

Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 5 minutes.

When its ready uncover and gently stir so the beans are spread evenly.

You will notice the beans will have absorbed about 50 to 70 percent of the water. This is normal as this is more a chunky style chilli recipe.

Although this recipe doesn't contain any chili powder, trust me, it is very very tasty and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :D

Serves 3 to 4 people.

Last edited by allergies_suck_101 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 pm 

How to cook Pinto Beans:

Put 2 1/2 cups of Pinto Beans in a medium sized bowl.

Add roughly 1/4 a cup of Cold Water making sure all the beans are covered but not so it looks like a swimming pool!!! :mrgreen:

Cover beans overnight with plastic wrap.

Next morning your beans should have absorbed 99% of the water. Transfer those beans into a strainer.

Rinse those beans lightly with cold Water.

Transfer those Pinto Beans into a medium to large pot and cover the beans with roughly 3 cups of Cold Water.

Follow the rest of the recipe above and you will be on your way.

Serves 3 to 4 people.