You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: ISO a spicy substitute
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:09 pm 

I was hoping someone would have a good spicy substitute to peppers. I love salsa, well I should say I loved salsa, but now can't eat bell or any type of pepper. Any suggestions to spice up my food? I also unfortunately have to stay away from black pepper too. I have tried Grains of Paradice as a black pepper substitute but I really don't think it tastes anything like pepper. My allergist said that eating a pickeled product may not effect me like the fresh or cooked would but I'm nervous to try it. I haven't had an ana. reaction to peppers but I don't want to tempt fate anymore by just trying it. Thanks!

Allergic to shellfish, sulfa meds, black & bell pepper, pointsettias, every tree, weed, dust mite, feather, pet & mold tested for. Food & med allergies are adult on-set. Suffered from asthma & env/outdoor allergies since childhood.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Some spices that don't contain capsicum but do give heat are:
Horseradish
Wasabi
Cinnamon
Ginger
Mustard
I'm not sure of any recipes...maybe others will post some.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 pm 

I never would have thought of cinnamon.

I did try wasabi in a black bean burger and it wasn't too bad. It's not the same heat as red peppers but it's close. I also found Sichuan. It's the spice commonly misspelled as szechuan. It's a berry and not at all related to peppers or black pepper! Also, pink peppercorns are not in the pepper tree family either. I found William Sonoma to carry a ton of spices and they label all their blends too. I will have to try cinnamon, I only associate that with pumpkin pies and lattes. :)

Allergic to shellfish, sulfa meds, black & bell pepper, pointsettias, every tree, weed, dust mite, feather, pet & mold tested for. Food & med allergies are adult on-set. Suffered from asthma & env/outdoor allergies since childhood.