You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:42 pm 

I wanted to mention a great book that I have been reading recently called Married With Special-Needs Children - A Couples' Guide to Keeping Connected, by Laura E. Marshak, Ph.D. & Fran P. Prezant, M.Ed., CCC-SLP.

From Woodbine House (publisher):

Quote:
At last, a guide that speaks to parents about how to work on marital issues while juggling the demands of raising a child with a developmental disability, serious medical condition, or mental illness. In writing this practical, empathetic guide, the authors draw on their combined professional experience in marital counseling and parent training, as well as on the experience and advice of hundreds of parents of children with special needs. [...]

For parents looking for ways to strengthen their marriage, prevent future strife, or resolve or move on from significant relationship difficulties, this guide offers guidance and expertise for taking the next step.

There is a good review of it at About.com: Parenting Special Needs.

My two cents: This book is worth investing in, whether your marriage is in great shape or could “use some CPR”, as the review above says. For me, it has opened my eyes about a few things that have happened between my husband and me, and has validated some of the approaches that we have taken. Not only does it give you insight into marriage and why your spouse might be doing the things s/he does -- and why you do the things you do! -- it also gives you insight into why other parents and individuals do what they do.

If you want to order it online:
- Chapters
- Amazon

K.