You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:00 am 

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ready any good picture books (for primary grades) on childrens' allergies (specifically, anaphylactic food allergies). I've heard of "Allie the Allergic Elephant" and "Cody the Allergic Cow", but I don't want to buy them until I hear reviews. Any help would be greatly apperciated. Thought it might be a good way to introduce young children to the topic. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks, and enjoy a beautiful day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:21 am 

Alexander the elephant is awesome, you can order them here:

https://www.foodallergy.org/shoppingcar ... ONWEBFLG=Y

I ordered two, to read and make sure that they were appropriate, and that the characters were following all the rules, and that the info was correct etc.

They are EXTREMELY good. The characters are careful, and manage their allergies very well. I have since ordered ALL the books (with the exception of halloween because the great pumpkin comes to our house and the story would not go along with that) , the alexander the elephant DVD, the faan kids activity book, the alexander coloring book, and a stuffed "alex" and "lenny". The DVD has a part where kids with allergies talk about their experiences. My daughter likes to watch it when she feels "different", to be reminded of all the other kids out there too and that she is not alone.

I have not read allie, or cody, but I would like to see one. Do you know how to order them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Check out your local public library. I have borrowed the Alexander books from ours. They are well written, positive and show Alexander in a supportive environment with friends and teacher who care and help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:12 am 

Apart from the Alexander books, I also have:

No Nuts for Me!
Written by Aaron Zevy
Illustrated by Susan Tebbutt
Copyright 1995
Tumbleweed Press, 401 Magnetic Dr. Unit 11, Downsview, ON M3J 3H9

That might be an old address. Here is their website

http://www.tumbleweed-press.com/contact.html

Here's another link: http://www.peanutallergy.com/books/nonuts.htm

Last edited by Storm on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:43 am 

Storm wrote:
No Nuts for Me!
Written by Aaron Zevy
Illustrated by Susan Tebbutt
Copyright 1995
Tumbleweed Press, 401 Magnetic Dr. Unit 11, Downsview, ON M3J 3H9

We also got this book for my son when he was first diagnosed with his peanut allergy (we purchased it from Anaphylaxis Canada when he was about a year and a half) and he still really enjoys it at 3. It touches upon many areas that a peanut/nut allergic child would have to deal with -- ie. having an epipen, wearing a medic alert bracelet, mom reading labels at the grocery store, not taking food from anyone at school, attending birthday parties, etc. It helps us explain things to him by drawing comparisons to Noah (the little boy in the story) -- "just like Noah" and I think this helps him in that he doesn't feel so different - that other children also have to be careful because of food allergies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:12 am 

Hello,

Thanks for all your thoughts. I am looking forward to reading the Alexander resources.

Nicole Smith is the author of "Allie the Allergic Elephant" and "Cody the Allergic Cow", and I've seen both books on amazon.com. I haven't met anyone who has read them, but since the author has a peanut allergic child, I'm sure the stories are presented in an accurate manner (misrepresentation is far worse than no representation, no?).

Hope everyone had a happy, safe, and healthy day.

Regards,

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:40 pm 

I found this info on the web:

This book is particularly useful for handling situations in schools that are not peanut/nut-free.

http://www.healthpress.com/~healthpr/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33

The Peanut Butter Jam
Elizabeth Sussman Nassau
Illustrated by Margot J. Ott
Published by Health Press
Publication Date: June 21, 2001
ISBN 092917335X

Sam's in a jam when his classmates work on a project using peanut butter. Sam is allergic to peanuts! This delightful story promotes understanding, tolerance and sensitivity to the seriousness of allergies and other health issues.

Reviewers have said:

The Peanut Butter Jam is a wonderful story that provides great insight into what it is like to live with a peanut allergy. Sam's day at school is reminiscent of what hundreds of peanut allergic children face each day. It provides a life-like account of what can happen during an anaphylactic reaction to peanut and how a well-prepared school should respond. Elizabeth Sussman Nassau obviously has "been there" and in The Peanut Butter Jam has provided an entertaining story for children and educational primer for adults. It is a "must" read for families with food allergic children and educators with food allergic students.
Hugh A. Sampson, MD
Professor of Pediatrics & Biomedical Sciences
Mount Sinai School of Medicine