You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:31 pm 

Hey there -

I have lots of English allergy books for kids, but I'm finding that there isn't much in the way of French. We have
- Les Noix C'est Pas Pour Moi (No Nuts for Me!)
- SOS Allergies

And that's about it. I think the AQAA sells one about a little girl in daycare but other than that, I haven't heard of any.

Anyone know of any others?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 am 

Hi Karen,

I did some research and found these children's books published in France.

Dis-moi pourquoi j'ai une allergie aux poils de lapin: Histoire de Camille
Catherine Saussine

Dis-moi pourquoi j'ai une allergie au pollen: Histoire de Thomas
Catherine Saussine

Les oeufs n'aiment pas Margaux : Margaux a une allergie alimentaire
Martine Herve-Guillot

They are available through Amazon France http://www.amazon.fr Delivery to Canada is available.

I found this book on Amazon Canada:

Allergiques comme Clara!
by Pakita , Jean-Philippe Chabot
Une nouvelle de la classe d'Agathe fait une crise d'allergie dans la cour de récréation après avoir mangé un biscuit au chocolat qui contient des amandes. Pendant qu'elle se fait soigner, les élèves déclinent les uns après les autres leurs menus bobos ou maladies réciproques. Agathe se sent exclue puisqu'elle n'a rien pour faire partie de la bande des Blessés Malades Courageux.
http://www.amazon.ca

This site lists some more children's books. Scroll to "Allergies"

http://www.petitmonde.com/ENFANTS/bibli ... ettreA.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:42 am 

Thanks so much Storm!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:28 pm 

The author of Peter Can't Eat Peanuts is considering having it translated into French (at my request).

See http://www.access4allergickids.com/Peter_Cant_Eat_Peanuts.html for details about the English version.

Would anyone here be interested in a French version? Let me know either here or by PM.

K.

Post subject: Translation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm 

Hi,

I would love to translate those books. I am a translator with 20 years of experience and I also have a daughter with allergies. If the author is looking for a translator, please leave a note on this forum and I will respond with my contact info.

Thank you,

Nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:18 pm 

I was surfing and came across the following...it's not a book but a video.

Never Take a Chance / Pas de risque à prendre
In French or English, for children aged 4 to 7.
Available from Allergy Essentials, 59 Robertson Road, Suite 148, Nepean, ON K2H 5Y9

It was referenced in Appendix F (Educational Materials for Children) in "Anaphylaxis: A Handbood for School Boards" produced by the Canadian School Boards Assoc. Copyright September 2001. http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/cpa/publica ... ylaxis.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:54 pm 

Just saw the post about the "Never Take a Chance / Pas de risque à prendre" video.

Unfortunately Allergy Essentials doesn't exist anymore (sniff, sniff, boo-hoo), but the video is available from the AQAA.

See http://www.aqaa.qc.ca/produits/materiel.htm.

We have it, and I've used it in my oldest's school as an educational tool. It's okay, and not too long, and little kids seem to like it, but... I don't like that the allergic kid is the one that looks like a total nerd. Is that really necessary?? :?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm 

Just found this book when randomly surfing the Internet...

L'histoire de Frisson, l'écureuil allergique
Auteur: Ginette Legendre
Date de publication: 01-07-07
Format: 7 x 8.5
Nombre de page: 24
ISBN: 978-2-89627-104-7

Prix: $9.95 (CAN)

Chez Distribution Raffin

Résumé: L'auteure, infirmière de profession maintenant retraitée, s'était donné comme projet de retraite d'écrire des contes pour ses petits-enfants. Après avoir écrit cinq histoires « traditionnelles », voilà qu'elle bifurque dans les contes pour enfants présentant des problèmes de santé.

For more details: http://www.editionsfrancophonie.com/liv ... cfm?id=218

Not sure if the squirrel is allergic to food or has environmental allergies...!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:07 pm 

Here are two GREAT recipy books in french.... available on this great website....
http://www.dejouerlesallergies.com/archives/000005.html

I bought both (one for complete meals and the other for desserts) after a conference the author gives acrosse Quebec (conference is also available in english now I think...).

Even I, with multiple allergies...I'll be able, after some more modifications, to make some of the recipies for myself....

They also contain great info about allergies, substitutions, etc...

2 definite must have!!!!

Loumana

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:00 am 

They are great recipe books, I agree. Marie-Josée Bettez has done an amazing job with them.

I actually gave the English version of her presentation in Ottawa in April, and we are hoping to do one in Toronto in the fall. I will post about it when things are firmed up.

Stay tuned! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:13 am 

Wow!..I attended the one in Québec city a month ago...Then She was talking about you?!....

I almost cried at the beginning....Another young mom was there and turned out she had developped the same allergies (and more, and more severe), the same way I did....in our 30's....out of nowhere....consulted the same $%$/?!!!! allergist who told us it was all in our head... She found a great one since...and gave me his name...

I found great informations and advice at that conference...ranging from trusted allergists to allergy conscious butchers, etc....

A definite must for anyone dealing with allergies!!!!

Loumana

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15 am 

Now, I just got to kick myself you know where to consult and get tested....