You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: apple juice question..
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 pm
Posts: 275
Location: on my pc in cp
snce you are all label readers and knowlegable about a plethora of food ingredients maybe you can help me with this

my neice reacts to apple juice every time she drinks it, getting wheeping wounds in her diapered areas, she is nine months old currently, now with the hot weather here my sister is kind of at a loss as to what to have her drink rather then just pain water, she'll sometimes give her an ounce of orange juice with three ounces water, but she doesn't really like it all that much. when she gave my neice the apple juice she watered it down as the doctor told her to, and so far that's the only new introduction of food or whatever that she's reacted that way to i have a couple of questions

1) is there something different added to apple juices then other juices? (she tried a couple of brands)

2) is there a difference between watering down regular apple juice and the baby apple juice you can buy at the store?

3) should she consider this an allergy and should she be tested and when?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6476
Location: Ottawa
All that I know is that some apple juices are labeled "low acid". Could she be reacting to an apple juice with a higher acidity?

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:22 pm
Posts: 154
Location: Georgia
Hi Dustytiger,

Thankfully my daughter, age 9, did not inherit any of my many food allergies! :D However, when I was starting her on foods, age 7 months, she began to get fussy and have diarrhea from rice cereal. (Just the way mine started.) Switched over to oatmeal...no more problems. I did not re-introduce rice products to her until she was about 2 years. She is fine with rice now.

When we began applesauce, same thing, and added to this was a red "ring around the bottom". Obviously very painful inside and out. :( Pulled her off apple products. Each time we have tried to do apples or cooked products like applesauce again, she gets horrible tummyaches and loose stools.

My Allergist and her Ped say this appears to be a food intolerance. We have not done SPT or RAST testing, as she does not need apples, nor does she have any other allergy-type problems (no runny noises, either). We do pears just fine, and every other fruit and veggie you can think of...good eater.

Babies do not need to drink water; breastmilk and formula usually provide all the hydration they need, unless constipated. If sick and dehydrated, they should not be given water, but instead the pediatric solutions like Pedialyte. And juices are highly over-rated. Full of sugars that tummy bacteria go wild over.

Orange juice and grape juice are really the only juices I give my daughter.

Daisy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:07 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Burlington
Apple juice is too acidic for babies in my opinion. Also, it is a juice with very little nutrional content. My dentist scared me away from giving my kids apple juice because it will rot teeth very easily especially when taken from a bottle because the juice pools in the mouth resulting in tooth decay. I've read that white grape juice has more nutrition and better for the teeth. Personally, I think getting them used to water at an early age is a great thing to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Posts: 528
Location: Burlington, Ontario
At three, my cousin's little girl started developing kidney problems (I forget what the symptoms were) and they determine that she was drinking too much apple juice! It was probably the acid. The problem cleared away when they eliminated the apple juice from her diet.

I personnally think that juice is high in empty calories and takes the place of other nutrients. I believe in giving babies watter, especially that they don't know any better at that age! They'll have plenty of time later to discover all the sugar drinks.

_________________
15 year old - asthmatic, allergic to cats, dogs, horses, waiting to be "officially" diagnosed for anaphylaxis
12 year old - asthmatic, allergic to tree pollen and mold, OAS
Husband - Allergic to amoxycillin
Self - Allergic to housework only


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 pm
Posts: 275
Location: on my pc in cp
that's very interesting and helpful thanks all!!

i don't believe anyone has given my neice other apple products, but if she keeps reacting to apples then LOTS of fruit juices have apple in them for taste, but you do have a point often times juice is just empty calories, some of the stuff i read tho made me think cause i am an apple juice fiend i can sit and drink an entire can of rougemont apple juice (dusty seriously needs to cut back) well at least juice, for the most part is better then soft drinks and sports drinks

agan thanx for the info as always it's useful


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:39 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: saskatchewan, canada
Personally, I don't think their is much need for apple juice (or any juice ) until kids are older, and getting their nutrients elsewhere. My 3 year old has never had juice, simply because she NEEDS the nutrition from her soy milk. If she satisfies her thirst on juice, she won't drink what she needs. She does not drink water yet either for that same reason.

Juice is acidic and sugary, and can do a number on kids teeth as well.

_________________
DD age 9 1/2 -peanuts, nuts,
DD age 7 1/2 - milk, eggs, chicken, peanuts, treenuts, cats, dogs,
DS age 2 1/2
Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group