You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Crafts anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:21 pm 

Does anyone like to do crafts of any sort?

I do cross-stitch and knitting. And, occasionally anything else that seems appealing at the time. :lol:

Currently I am working on a cross-stitch Christmas stocking for my oldest son's ex-girlfriend; a cross-stitch picture for myself; two mini-ornaments; a knitted blanket for my grandson; and a quilt that will probably end up being a picnic blanket - assuming it ever gets completed. :oops:

If you want to see some of my work - you can look here. http://community.webshots.com/user/isl_acadian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:48 am 

Your stuff is beautiful! I'll take a better look tomorrow.

Me? I NEVER STOP KNITTING. I just knit my husband an awesome raglan sweater (from the top down, bien sur) with six skulls and crossbones down the sleeves (three on each). I am currently working on a cotton sweater for myself, with a lace pattern on the sleeves. It's a pretty celery green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:01 pm 

I was learning to knit late last year when I had some nerve problems suddenly get a lot worse. My doctor ordered me to stop and I didn't listen and ended up in worse shape, so now I'm back to where I *might* be able to start knitting in five minute blocks once a day or so.

I've done cross-stitch for years, but have had to take a break from that, too.

Anyhow, I like woodworking, too, and that's easier--less repetitive motion.

And when I'm being especially naughty, I go out and work in the garden. We just bought a house, so I'm eagerly seeing what comes up this year in the corners and fencerows, but I refuse to just sit back. I've decided the grass is fair game--I hate it, it hates me, and I'd rather plant other stuff. ;) Gardening in and of itself may not be super crafty, but I plan on building some copper trellises.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:26 pm 

I'm addicted to scrapbooking and photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:20 pm 

ygg, gardening definitely can be crafty. Though, not the way I do it. :oops:

Last year I managed an OK front garden. I actually got a few roses on my rose bush. :) We'll see whether or not it survived all the severe weather warnings we had up here this winter.

My back yard I decided to do edible plants. Well, they did well - but I made a few mistakes. Mint takes over EVERYTHING. I have spearmint and peppermint. I also planted a few spice type things, but I can't remember what they were. Oregano I think.

So are you pulling all your grass up? (Could you send it to me - I still have these major bald spots.) If you get rid of the grass, and plant stuff you actually want, you shouldn't have problems with the allergies should you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:36 am 

My husband and I just bought a pretty house with a lovely backyard (complete with separate garage!) that I'm just dying to turn into a lovely garden:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:45 am 

I'm allergic to everything. ;) I won't plant anything that would cause an anaphylactic reaction (echinacea, chamomile, lavender), but I'll react to just touching most plants. Just a minor contact dermatitis (tomato vines are the WORST, but I love eating the fruit).

My front yard is mostly crabgrass and alyssum at the moment. There are some spots that aren't green--those might be turfgrass. I won't know until it warms up. But I don't really see the point in growing something that needs to be mowed on a regular basis.

I'm going to grow natives and edibles. I plan on having pipevine, maypop (passionflower), and various plants for butterflies and hummingbirds, along with some milkweeds, wild bergamot, and wild ginger--if I can find a sustainable source for that.

The backyard is mostly moss. The grass-covered areas are patchy and in the shade. Those are hopefully getting wild ginger and there will be columbine and wild bergamot around the fringes. I'll have to count my pennies and sneak away to the local native nurseries when my husband isn't looking. I'm sure some ferns will find their way in there, perhaps something tasty.

My best friend from college dropped in for a surprise visit tonight and sighed in envy when I told her I'm going to till up the front yard soon and plant buckwheat for a green manure crop. Her homeowner's association wouldn't like that. ;)

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:57 pm 

Audra, the only sweaters I've made (other than baby sets) were the ones that are in the round. I loved making them. I have to admit, with my knitting, I hate having to sew things together - so I prefer to make things that are all in one piece.

Terri, I take pictures - but I'm not sure I'd call what I do photography. :lol: Do you make scrapbooks as gifts? or more for yourself? I think it would be a lovely gift for grandparents, or an anniversary or something like that.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:10 pm 

I have a big yard and some gardens.
I wear old clothes outdoors,gloves, at times a bug suit. .
I planted some free plants from my neighbors which have grown nicely they come back every year.
I have herbs which is the main garden and then I dry them for the winter.
My Husband sometimes has to harvest for me I am allergic to bees and wasps etc.
He has a small rose garden they smell nice but they always get thorns into me so that one I say away from.
I mow the lawn with a old fashioned push mower, it is good exerise.
As much as I am allergic to pollen etc I love the beauty of the yard.
One garden is so I can see it and the hummingbirds and butterflies from the window, when my asthma is being a bother the high heat and humidy can bother it.
As for knitting I only know how to make scarves. I do draw with pencils and read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:12 am 

So I just started knitting this:

with this:

(that's a 60/40 cotton/acrylic chunky yarn, for the really curious).

So far I have this:

I'm really happy about it, and it's going pretty quickly. It's my summer nights sweater! I love summer nights! The colours are an homage to my friend Karen who loves the beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:52 pm 

that sweater looks nice! I have to admit to being a compulsive knitter/ crochet.. I just can't sit in front of the TV with nothing in my hands... I need to justify watching that much TV :wink: . I mostly do afgans (spelling's wrong...), socks and round sweaters. I mostly do stuff for babies and kids as I don't really use any of that stuff and my friends just love them, so their kids wear them with pride. As I'm going back to University part-time this fall, I'll have a lot less time for all those crafts. I usually participate in a craft sale around Christmas, so it pays off a little... but I probably will not have time for the next 3 years until I finish my courses... I just can't knit in front of a book... and I'll have to cut down on TV too...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:59 pm 

Audra, that's really nice.

I've put away the blanket I'm making for my grandson. We are in another week long heat wave.

Currently I'm working on a baby afghan that I'm cross-stitching. I'm almost finished "P is for Paint". I have another grandchild due in December, so I'm hoping to get all the way to "Z" by then. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:18 pm 

Audra that is a beautiful sweater the colors are wonderful. I only know how to knit a very basic scarf. That is if I do not knit too tight and break the needles! I do not even know how to pearl(not sure how it is spelled). I really appreciate the hard work that is done though and I am the kind of person who buys those wonderful sweaters at the craft shows.

Post subject: sewing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:58 pm 

I have taken up sewing in the last year. I had only ever sewn in home-ec in school. I started with clothes for my two daughters cabbage patch kids. This year I made a Quilt for my brother for his wedding. I also made a quilt for my sister in laws baby(she is still pregnant).

Both of my daughters wanted to be care bears for halloween, so I am making their costumes. I'm done one already.

Sewing relaxes me, and takes my mind off of allergies for a while. The halloween costumes are just my way of doing something extra special for my kids at this difficult holiday.

I also really enjoy cake decorating and chocolate making. All milk, egg, nut and peanut free of course. I also made the wedding cake for my brothers wedding, so that my two daughters (the flower girls) were included. Oh, and I made it in a fifth-wheel while camping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:53 pm 

Anna Marie, I love your Christmas 2005 Ornament, especially the Nutcracker and the Teddy Bear.