You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:25 pm 

Some of you may know that I hate making the kids' lunches. Everyone in my local support group sure does! Well, my DH and I have smartened up, and are starting to get the kids to make their own lunches. We felt that at 6.5 and 8.5 they were more than old enough to cope with that task. (Plus it helped to hear that another family has their kids make their own lunches, pretty much with zero supervision...)

We don't leave them alone and we do help them, and we make sure they are nutritious, but they are starting to make decisions about what they take and are actually physically putting things together.

It's heavenly!! Not only are my DH and I doing a bit less work, we are all actually working together in the kitchen and spending a bit more time together - an unexpected bonus.

So instead of feeling like a slave while my darling children play, watch TV or read, I feel like we are all helping out. Plus, as I pointed out to my oldest, we are teaching them a valuable life skill - putting a lunch together. :)

I realize that some people likely clued into doing this a loooong time ago, but I figure better late than never!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Great idea! I think kids are more likely to eat foods if they have some input into the meal.
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:41 am 

And I have been very interested to see that (a) their lunches/snacks are much smaller than my DH and I were making them, and (b) my youngest pretty much only chooses fruit for his snacks!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Cool idea.

It's almost like a psychology lesson, learning what they're inclined to take.

Besides, I always find kitchen work is less onerous when there's help. It's (psychology again) as if when we're all doing it together, it's not so much work as just something you do.
Good communication time, too.

g