You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:56 pm 

My DD and I made bagels today. I have really missed bagels. With Dairy, Egg and Sesame as our no-nos, you just can't buy a bagel to save your life, or I guess without risking life.

Anyway, some of them actually even LOOK like ... BAGELS!

I can barely wait to experiment and make more. Go figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 am 

Renie,

Way to go! I would be hesitant to try them, as I too assumed they would be a lot of work. I guess one positive side effect of having allergies is we become very resourceful!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Move over Montreal bagel makers :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:11 am 

That's excellent. The only "bad" thing about making good things at home is that they get eaten so quickly...!

A few years ago my youngest and I tried to make crumpets (which I love), because the store-bought ones all contain milk. It took us about 6 hours, not including the time it took to go and buy the crumpet forms! And then they didn't quite work out. Needless to say, we haven't made crumpets since.

But I am very glad that your bagel attempt was a success! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:00 pm 

Renie, I would love your recipe for bagels! :D I haven't had a bagel in YEARS, and I really miss them! I saw a little guy in the library today eating a sesame bagel with cream cheese, and it looked SO good. Of course, I was a little miffed at all the food I saw being consumed right in the library, plus a SESAME SEED bagel (no less). What can you do... this is our world now... no place is off limits for food consumption, so we have to teach our kids to ALWAYS be careful no matter where they are. Anyway, I'm WAY off topic. If you would like to share your recipe, that would be wonderful!

J.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm 

Oh FOR SURE! I will type it up tomorrow! It was surprisingly easy. My daughter had fun making snakes and then joining them - even hers actually looked like bagels. She does love to bake. The recipe also tolerated imprecise measurements, since she always adjusts what I measure, pours it in and inevitably knocks some out when she mixes. Hmmm... perhaps they were easy due to child labour? HAHAHAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 pm 

Thanks :) It's nice to hear it's a forgiving recipe - my kids enjoy getting in the kitchen, so "exact" measurements do not always occur :? It's great when kids enjoy being in the kitchen - particularly those with food allergies!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 pm 

I'm glad the bagels worked out, Renie. Sesame allergy must be one of the toughest. My friend is severely sesame allergic and just had to spend 2 weeks in China on business. Tough, but he made it withought any incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:15 pm 

Thanks Gem :) I do find sesame difficult and am always shocked that I find those blasted little seeds everywhere! Glad to hear about your friend - it is encouraging as I do worry about travel in the future...
Hope you and of course the fam are doing well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:18 am 

I can't believe I spelled "without" as "withought". :shock: