You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:20 am 

I used to have a couple of reusable water bottles made out of hard plastic (I have concerns about leaching with soft plastic). But I dropped them both on cement on different occasions and they broke!

I found this:

http://www.northern-spirit.ca/index.php?cPath=21_77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I got one, too! I got the cool bright, blue Sigg bottle. It was one of the funky bottles we showed in AL mag. in the Fall issue.

I'm not promoting - they did not advertise... But I love my bottle. And it makes me feel greener.

True confessions time – here's my disgusting tale that accompanies the bottle transition. I was at the gym one day, swigging from the plastic water bottle I'd brought with me. Then I left, got into my car to find - my "actual" plastic water bottle in the car.

Ergo, the one I had been drinking from was not mine. :shock:
Can you say, "ew, ew, ew." I was an instant convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:40 am 

Ew! I can see why you would want a distinctive bottle. Scary, too--what if the other person had been eating soy.

I got the jade green one :) I *love* the colour, and I take it with me everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm 

I have two SIGG bottles. I know lots of folks like the Kleen Kanteen, too, but I'm very leery over made in China stuff at the moment, no matter how closely the manufacture is supposedly monitored.

The larger SIGG bottle I bought doesn't fit in the cupholders of the stroller. And while I normally just wear the urchin, I do like to walk a 4mi trail that is very stroller friendly. And I need readily accessible water. So I bought a smaller SIGG. I just refill it from the big one.

I don't get AL magazine, but was the sippy cup aspect mentioned? SIGG has different mouthpieces and handles to make a small SIGG function as a sippy. That's kinda cool. We only use water in ours--no juices or acids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I normally just wear the urchin

:lol: Nice.

AL mag didn't have room to mention all the deets on every bottle shown, but the sippy cup is a neat feature.

Helen, oddly, I hadn't thought much about the risk of allergen contamination. I was too busy thinking, 'ew, who belonged to that bottle and where has he or she been". I'll stop talking about this anytime soon - promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:23 pm 

I did wonder about whether it was okay to put juice in it---the company says it is safe, but then they also say to not let anything set in there too long which suggests to me that anything acidic could break down the protective coating (?) I just put water in mine too--I usually only have juice in the morning anyhow.

In case anyone in the Greater Toronto Area is interested in buying one, you can get them at Whole Foods and at the Big Carrot (on the Danforth). I think I heard that they sell them at Roots, too, but I'm not positive about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 pm 

I've also been avoiding plastic water bottles over the last few months. Instead, when we are going on picnics, or if I want to carry water in the car, I am opting for carrying glass. I bought some glass juice bottles (~1 L in size) (incidentally, glass bottles were hard to find, but PC had some specialty juices which were contained in glass). Of course, we first drank the juice, then I removed the label and washed them in the dishwasher. This has been working well for us.

I'm going to check out these new water bottles too!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 pm 

Glass bottles for juice sounds like a good idea!

It is hard to avoid plastic . . . the only headway I've made (aside from the Sigg bottle) is to buy Kefir in glass jars which are returned and reused by the dairy. And I use glass storage containers in the fridge with plastic lids.