You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:31 am 

On March 28th, yoga studios around the world are hosting a day of yoga for human rights. All the proceeds raised are going to Amnesty International. If you aren't familiar with it, AI was created in 1961 and initially focused on freeing prisoners of conscience (people imprisoned for reasons other than violating the law: based on religion, political affiliation,etc.). Today, there are about 2 million Amnesty members around the world and they advocate for prisoners of conscience, women's rights, refugee rights, abuse based on identity, and impunity. Ask your local yoga studio if they are participating in Yoga Day for Human Rights...it's really for a great cause! This is the 4th year that Amnesty International is asking yoga studio's to do this.

If any of you are in Montreal and are interested, PM me and I can give you details about the studio I belong to which is hosting a day full of events...the main one being 108 sun salutations :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:39 am 

Lisa,

Have you ever participated in anything like this before? I know locally they did something like this before for a different cause. I love yoga and have been doing it for about 5 years. However, I don't think I could do 108 sun salutations :shock: Or is it more like people come and go and do parts of the whole regime?

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 pm 

Soccermom,

I've done 54 before on my yoga teacher's birthday. I don't know if you know, but on your teacher's birthday you're supposed to do 108 in their honour. Mine was kind enough to split the 108 between her two classes that day. But no one is forced to finish all 108 plus there are breaks in between with tea, juice, and snacks for those who want/need it. It will be a bit of a challenge though but there are other events too like gentle yoga, meditation, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm 
soccermom wrote:
Lisa,

Have you ever participated in anything like this before? I know locally they did something like this before for a different cause. I love yoga and have been doing it for about 5 years. However, I don't think I could do 108 sun salutations :shock: Or is it more like people come and go and do parts of the whole regime?

Soccermom

I see you are from Niagara - me, too - did you do that fundraiser? I missed it, but would have love to (probably unsuccessfully) tried it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:53 am 

No, I didn't participate. I think at the time, I was still feeling like a newbie, and would have been too intimidated. Namaste,

Soccermom