You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

What do you make of her thesis and the idea of "free range kids"?

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/0 ... newsletter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, when I was a kid, I went everywhere under the supervision of my older siblings. Now that we're having smaller families, often just a single child, this becomes harder. They either go off alone or with a parent.

I agree that we have to teach our children how to deal with situations and how to keep themselves safe and then we need to let them practice it.

I still think 9 is too young to ride the subway by themselves.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:15 am 

I think there are some *free range kids* in my neighbourhood. Kids that dart across the road (very busy traffic). Kids that run all over people's property. Kids that run along swinging sticks. Kids throwing stuff at school buses. These are kids that have been walking unsupervised since about age 7 or 8.

I think I'll keep walking my son until his wife can take over the job.

Anyway, I remember one to many close calls as a kid. One of those close calls involved a stanger in a car grabbing me. So I know it doesn't just happen to other people's kids. (I got away from the guy only because back then we had police on foot patrol. The guy saw a policeman across the street so he let go of me and drove off. I was struggling, but I was a very small 8 year old and I didn't stand a chance of getting away from him.)

My paranoia and over-protectiveness didn't harm my older two kids. One works as a medic and is hoping to get hired as a fireman. The other will soon graduate the college course to be a policeman. They don't live in bubbles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie,

I'm with you. Maybe this labels me as an over-protective sort, but I'm also a journalist who has edited too many crime stories. I'd worry about kids today wandering around by themselves.

That said, I have wonderful memories of taking the bus downtown in Winnipeg on Sat. mornings to go to dance class. Years were probably 9-11. Made me feel like a grownup. But I was pretty streetproofed, and the bus stopped right in front of the place.

I doubt I'd allow the same with a child today. Perhaps in part because it's so unusual today that it might be more apparent that the child was on his or her own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:56 pm 

Wonder if that author would think any differently if she had 11 and 13 year old daughters who look much older and more mature than they are?