You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 pm 

I was just watching 'Just Buried' . It was awful but somehow while cross stitching I just kept it on. You know,one of those movies where after you've watched it for so long and it never gets better you figure with that much of your time invested you might as well finish the thing.
So, to be fair many people died through the movie in odd and bizarre manners. But as the movie came to an end I was so horrified I literally felt ill to my stomach. The wacko wife fights with her husband, knocks him on the head so he falls to the ground. She then proceeds to opens a package of peanuts, asks him if he wants one (as he is stammering he loves her.) She pours the package into her mouth, chomps them a bit then kisses him. He has an anaphylactic reaction and she holds up an epipen and asks if that is what he is looking for - He dies!!!

Ok, so I know in movies people have been murdered in a thousand different ways so maybe I am too sensitive to the now obviously trendy 'death by peanut' . But OMG, it gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes as it really does show the vulnerability of those with food allergies. No knife, chainsaw, gun, car wreck, explosion needed, just a kiss!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Admin

From what I can understand it's a very black comedy...not funny if it strikes close to home!

I've often wondered why Stephen King doesn't do a plot line about anaphylaxis allergies. He is the master at taking seemly harmless everday items and turning them into the basis of terror. He wouldn't have to work very hard on this one!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I hope anaphylaxis won't become more popular as movie fodder since serious food allergies are now pretty common. (We've already seen bad examples such as: Monster-in-Law, Nancy Drew movie, Hitch...)

I can't recall this plot lines with diabetes/insulin; but certainly there have been TV/movie plots where someone's heart meds are being withheld.

I respect freedom of expression, but I think a difference with ana. is that:
- the main group of people affected are school-age kids.
- there already is schoolyard bullying - what they're doing on film could lead to dangerous mimicking.

When you see something that offends - find a contact and drop a line to the producers. Otherwise, they'll never know the risk they're creating.

See also Ang's discussion of the Y&the R here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4678

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:25 am 

Our daughter just watched Nancy Drew last week. I had to pause the movie she was so upset and kept asking me if she'd ever have to 'do that' as in stab a ball point pen into her brother's neck!!! I said no, that is why we carry an epipen, then she went into a rant over why no one asked whether the girl had an epipen with her, what if she did have one with her an Nancy just didn't look for it. Now that would have been a true hero story for tweens to see. Not a high risk highly unlikely medical procedure but to just have used an epipen. It would have taught kids that it is an easy, quick, effective way of saving a friend's life.

oh and off topic, Here's the way the allergic families mind words. This morning while the kids were playing in the backyard I did some gardening . I called out to our daughter how the flowers smelled like perfume. She grabbed her brother's hand and asked in a panic, "good perfume or bad perfume". :D :D :D :D I had such a big grin I had to turn around so I wouldn't hurt her feelings.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 wrote:
Here's the way the allergic families mind words. This morning while the kids were playing in the backyard I did some gardening . I called out to our daughter how the flowers smelled like perfume. She grabbed her brother's hand and asked in a panic, "good perfume or bad perfume". :D :D :D :D I had such a big grin I had to turn around so I wouldn't hurt her feelings.

:) It's funny how our minds work sometimes, eh?

It's so nice for him that he has a big sister who looks out for him!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:22 pm 

I saw Just Buried. Dumb movie -- but like you - I was cross-stitching through it.

Early in the movie the guy holds up an epi-pen and says he's got allergies (I think he specifies peanut, but I'm not sure). At that point, I knew how he was going to die -- and obviously it would be murder not an accident.

~~

As for Stephen King -- I heard (though I haven't been able to confirm) that his daughter has a shell-fish allergy and she had an ana. reaction. In the second book of the Dark Tower series, the Roland gets attacked by Lobstrocities. I always thought that was his way of dealing with that allergy. (The Roland and friends end up eating them - revenge is sweet. lol)

And I think he has mentioned allergies occasionally in his books -- but it's never been a major plot as far as I can recall.