You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:29 pm 

What do people think about sending kids to school when they aren't sick, but one of the parents is sick? I am getting over the flu, and it may be H1N1 - not really sure. I've been extremely careful to wash my hands after suspected contacted with germs, washing tap handles and soap pump dispensers after I touch them, isolating myself so I'm sleeping in the attic, etc. The kids show no symptoms and are as active as always. Should I keep them at home since there is that incubation period when they could have been infected but aren't showing symptoms yet?

This is what the health canada website says: "More research is being done on how long a person can be infectious (be able to spread the virus to others), but it is believed that this period is for one day before the onset of symptoms and continues for approximately seven days after symptoms have started.The time it takes between being infected and experiencing symptoms is between two and seven days."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Admin

You can get swabbed to see if it is the H1N1 flu. If you knew it was I'd say keep them home. you can always contact the school and ask what they would prefer you do.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:20 pm 

Yeah, good point about getting the swab, except I'm of the mindset that if you are sick, and contagious and can manage on your own at home, don't go to the dr's office, etc and infect everyone else in close quarters. . . .

I figure I had/have some sort of flu, having had a rapid onset cough with no stuffy nose, plus aches, mild fever, extreme fatigue and nausea, but don't know for sure what flu it is, and really, does it matter? Because my husband dropped off the kids at school yesterday and today, which is almost unheard of, I've had several people (not medical professionals) asking me what symptoms I have and trying to diagnose whether it's h1n1 or not, and had one person say I must not have had the flu because I felt better after 3 days. Ummmm, OK, don't think you're right. . . I've never had those symptoms with all the colds I've ever had in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 pm 

I tried to get a swab today and was told they are only swabbing critical cases. I'd really like to know what I have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:31 am 

Yeah, I can see how clinics, hospitals, etc are probably at their limit with the flu season getting underway. I tried calling the nurse's hotline this morning to ask if I should bring the kids to school and it was busy for a long time. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... 0LpPIOAyDA

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 pm 

Allison's mom- you are so considerate. I wish everyone was being as socially responsible. In my school and my husband's school, kids are coming to school sick. Several at my husband's school had high fevers at school today and then had to be sent home once it was discovered how sick they were. In my school there are lots of kids coughing - not just a cough now and then - but loud regular coughs. It is very upsetting and a real worry for me. I don't want my daughter to catch this. Don't these parents listen to the news and medical advice - STAY HOME! It puts all people in a school - staff and students alike - at risk.

Kids were sent to school today by parents because their child did not want to miss the Halloween festivities. Boo Hoo! Our poor secretary has been kept busy calling parents to pick up kids. This is a drain on our support staff who have lots to do.

Spreading illness will lead to school closures if staff and student absences continue to increase.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 pm 

Thanks Kate - nice of you to say that!

I'm cognisant of very sick people being out in public and/or sending their sick kids to school, so I do try to not be one of those people.

However, I do think it's easier for me to consider keeping my kids at home because they are 3 and 4, and I'm at home anyway. For someone whose child is older, it would mean having to take the day off work to stay home with them, etc, which would make the decision that much harder to make.