You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm 

I just watched 'The Switch' with Jennifer Anniston. In the last scene Jennifer's character (during her son's birthday party) is handing her husband a tray of ice cream. She says something like 'oh, and be careful, one the kids has a milk allergy but I can't remember who. It might be the blond kid over there'. :freak

It's a shame they even needed to add the sentence to the movie. It wasn't relevant to anything going on or the rest of the movie. If they felt they had to add it why not say, oh, and here's a safe treat I've kept separate for the child with the dairy allergy.
The way it was added as a 'bit' for humor is annoying and makes me shake my head.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 pm 

I haven't seen the movie. Is the character potrayed as an air head? I mean, if that's just one more stupid thing she says, that's fine....but otherwise, shouldn't be in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm 

Good question but no. Her character is intelligent and well spoken. The comment was totally out of the blue with no reference meant to any other part of the movie.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 pm 

That's unfortunate. Scenes like that make me cringe, and although fictional make me more determined to attend parties with DS..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:11 pm 

I watched 'Runaway Bride' last night, and at one point it is announced that 'shrimp will be for dinner' at a party. Julia Roberts asked Richard Gere if he's allergic to shrimp, he says 'no', and she says something like 'that's too bad'.

SO BLOODY CRINGEWORTHY.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am 

Regarding the scene in Switch, what bothered me was after Jennifer's character says that, her husband says something about serving something else instead (sorbet?). Which means the writier isn't completely clueless about allergies...so why put it in the movie if you're going to handle it so bad?

Other then that scene it was an excellent movie.