You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:18 pm 

So I know that I can speak for myself when I say that I often get caught up in everyday routines and stresses and sometimes life gets so hectic that I don't have time to stop and realize that as I'm rushing, life is happening. We live in a pretty chaotic world if you think about what's going on in other countries and our own. Wars, famine, poverty, hunger, environmental destruction and people who are often to busy to remember the important parts of life.

I always like to think that the holidays aren't just about receiving presents but that they are a magical time for many reasons. I guess one of those is that they are the one time of year that we actually stop. We stop everything we're doing and pay attention to the people around us. We get together, we cook for each other, and yes, we even give gifts to show our thanks for each other.

Yesterday at work I witnessed something truly amazing; amazing, indeed, because in the world we live in today, I think it happens so very rarely. I thought I'd share it all with you because it definitely made me re-think what is important in life.

I work at a natural health and wellness store. We sell vitamins and supplements and things like that. I am privileged, every day that I work, to see how people with a variety of health or other issues are helped when they walk in the door. But on this particular day I witnessed something even greater. A man and a woman, who arrived separately entered the store and laughed when they noticed each other. They began to tell us their story: This was the third separate occasion on which they had met in that single day. As complete strangers, they had both been at a donation centre. She was dropping off clothes, he was hoping to drop off a box of food. When he was told that they do not accept food, she piped in that she runs a house for disabled people and that she would gladly accept any food he could spare. He agreed to drop it off at her house. He did so later on that morning and then when they met at our store, it was the third time they had seen each other.

She was going for an accupuncture apointment and went to speak with the therapist and while she was gone, he paid for her entire bill and left before she got back. He was the kindest, most sincere man who just wanted to do something nice for a complete stranger. Her bill was upwards of $100 and that is not including his items. He didn't even wait for a thank you...it was a purely altruistic act, something so rare today. And he decided to do it like it was nothing. He just said, "I'll take care of hers too." He didn't say it like a grand announcement so that everyone would applaud him. He just wanted to do something nice.

When she got back, she was in complete shock. We really have become conditioned to expect that nothing comes for free and that usually if someone does something for you, it is because they want something in return.

When she went in for her appointment and we were left alone in the quiet store, my colleagues and I stood there in shock. It was unbelievable to have watched something like that.

I just wanted to share that. It definitely reinforced my idea that the holidays can be magical, if we create our own magic. So, all I can suggest is to try this out for yourself. I did it all day so far as I was driving, I let other people turn before me, etc. even though I had the right of way and I held doors open for people. Such simple acts still took people aback. It really doesn't take much to make someone's day and always suggest that they just pay it forward.

Happy Holidays everyone! Here's to good times with families and friends and, of course, safe and delicious eating :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:47 am 

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Admin

:D Thanks for sharing your story, Lisa.

It reminds me that Santa lives on in all of us; it's magical what a little human kindness can do!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

That's beautiful.
Obviously very touching and affecting to those of you who witnessed.

:thanksign for telling it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:35 pm 

Thank you Lisa for sharing such a beautiful and touching story.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish