It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Book Banter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hannah's Suitcase is outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm 

This thread is also about books for us, isn't it?

I've been having a hard time finding anything that I feel like reading. Finally, this week I got one.

Rhett Butler's People. It's a prequel to Gone With the Wind (which I love). I've also read Scarlett, which was much better then I expected it to be.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 pm 

I love new book ideas, I just wanted to share my favorites one is the wife tree by dorthy speak. The lady's senior rebellion is inspiring and funny. I've lent it to a friend but it's Canadian. Another favorite is the five people you meet in heaven, by mitch albom . One of my most returned to is the joy of living : unlocking the secret and science of happiness. It is written by a man who is both a monk and a scientist, amazing and has left me with kinder eyes. Right now I am reading A perfect mess : the hidden benefits of disorder and am feeling smug about my messy tendencies instead of sheepish !!

Jomatt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:12 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Helen - ahh, Catherine Bush, I'd forgotten about her. She's supposed to be good.
I do enjoy when books are set in familiar surroundings.
Me, too! worthwhile read.

I was in the hospital recently, and I acquired half a dozen new novels while I was there (thanks to family and friends). I'm out now and in a better frame of mind to enjoy reading. Right now I'm reading _The Book of Negroes_. Highly, highly recommend (but maybe not good bedtime reading).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:27 pm 

I am half way through what I think is a great book. The gift of fear from Gavin DeBecker. This is not a story but a book about understanding people. It is a book about everything from a date not hearing NO. To your gut feeling on a new babysitter or a man (person) in an elevator that makes you feel uncomfortable (even if they have not done anything).....
He feels in our culture when a man says NO its no. When a woman says No it's time for the negotiations! I would agree NO, No, No, Well O.K.!
It is a #1 National best seller. This author has been on Oprah... It is also not a new book. It is not a book for children. I think he is a profiler for the FBI??

Also a newer book written by a person from Calgary who had to fight for her children when her husband "kidnapped" them and took them to ?Australia then to the Middle East and her trials to get them home. Sorry I don't know the author but the book is called Flight of the Dragon Fly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

I'm currently reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker it's part of a self defence course I'm taking and it's very interesting.

It's about reading people, prediciting violence, listening to your instincts and intuition, your "gut" feeling. Mr. De Becker

https://www.gavindebecker.com/index.php ... t_of_fear

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 am 

Gwen we got Hannah's Suitcase for our daughter, my husband and I both read it. EXCELLENT book, I think every child in school should read that book. Our daughter read Anne Frank (at home) and Hiding Edith (at school) so that helped her with the general history behind the book. Out of all three I think Hannah's Suitcase as simple as it was really hit home with her the most.

Cathie thank you so much for all your suggestions. Our daughter has read non-stop for months now she is enjoying all her new books so much. She saw at a friends house the DVD Inkheart and hated it, she then didn't want to read the books. So I told her to read the first 5 pages of the book, if she still hated it then not to read them. /well, her head hasn't come out of that series in a week. :lol: Another example of how movies sometimes destroy good literature.

Thanks to everyone else for posting wonderful 'grown up' books. I actually have been reading all the books we've bought recently for our daughter as they are in the house. Many of the books mentioned on this thread sound very interesting..time to hit Chapters for myself (although I hate to admit it I LOVED the Eragon series we bought for our DD...and I don't normally like fantasy).

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am 

I was just scanning the posts here and wanted to mention two books I have just finished reading. (I also noticed Cathy mentioned this book in Apr 2010) "Sarah's key" by Tatiana de Rosnay. I thought this book was well written and a very easy book to quickly get into fictional characters but a true event. I was reluctant to read this as I thought I would spend too much time in tears. (this was not the case) I do reccomend this book. Also just finished "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. This is about a 50 yr old woman who has a phd in neuroscience who gets early on set alzheimer disease and it is written from her perspective. This book made me laugh, cry, ponder situations.... good book as it makes you think what you would do about "life and difficult situations"
:popcorn

On to my next book, reading two right now but looking forward to getting into The book of negros soon. I have heard it is very good.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm 

Good bump, summer is coming 8) kids & adults - The Giver, very good, reminded me of another A Mango Shaped Space is very good. BC your dd would like it. We also liked the Twice Upon a Time books - Rapunsel and Sleeping Beauty, maybe there are more of those...I don't know......
Flipped, Granny Torrelli Makes Soup, Tuck Everlasting,

Older, maybe mom reads these first? Speak, the perks of being a wallflower, squirrel seeks chipmunk, Gone (boys would like this one, kind of like S. Kings Under the Dome but a young boy being the hero. Speaking of Stephen King, I loved The Stand, both the book and the movie. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
And Farley Mowatt (ds is an advocate for Sea Shepard) and of course Harry Potter. dd has read many times - knows a lot!, and ds has read twice in order and once backwards :freak I enjoyed them as well, but only read the first 4.

The Pillars of the Earth-one of my favourites. I am reading Keith Richards right now....surprisingly....very good and not just about the drugs...but they do play a big part in his life, so ya know.
oooh, always exciting to pick the next!
:thanksign

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am 

Did you know, many public libraries have free downloads of books? I recently downloaded an audio book.

I Was Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet. It was amazing. I now want to see the documentary The BrainMan which is about him. Daniel is an autistic savant, and hearing him talk about things like....walking in circles.....and explaining them from inside was so interesting.

He had broken the world record for reciting pi by memory. It took over five hours. :frightened the record has since been broken.

I recommend this book to anyone dealing with a family member with autism. While everyone is different, it may help to understand "why" he/she does some things.

As for audio books themselves.....I prefer written words. If you miss a line, or don't understand something, it's easy to go back a paragraph. Hard to do with audio and I often found I went back about a page. But, the advantage is, I can "read" and sew at the same time. :mrgreen: