You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Grateful!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 am 

I took the kids to the playground yesterday, two school buses full of kids/supervisors pulled up of what looked to be a day camp group. The children (around 8-14 I'd say) all clearly had a very vast array of special needs. Not small behavioral issues but very obvious mostly cognitive challenges. (is that the right way to word it?, I mean no disrespect if it isn't) The supervisors were wonderful, there must have been a 2-1, no more than 3-1 ratio of adults to children. I have to say how loving, kind and encouraging this group of staff were .
It really hit me at this moment how grateful and thankful I am for our DS's (and of course daughters) health. Playing at the park is a huge step for me and I had been giving our son some freedom with our daughter to play but it was leaving me a bit tense. Right then and there I knew how fortunate I was to be dealing with what I'm sure these children's parents would see as 'just' allergies, and they would be right in thinking as much.
I know there are families on this forum who deal with health issues above and beyond allergies, I have to say to you that I really respect you and am in awe of you. Watching these children play really put into perspective just how 24/7 the care must be for some of these kids. I'm sure you have to live it to really understand fully.

So, I am very grateful for my kids health, and grateful for these children at the playground to put life into perspective for me.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Grateful!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:41 am 

I found a wiki article that suggests to refer to an individual first and disability second.

A person with a disability rather than a disabled person.

It can be confusing. Opinions vary as can be seen in the link.

I think the developing philosophy is to treat all people as equally as possible. Sometimes we have reason to refer to a person's disability, but otherwise could just refer to the person like anyone else.

:swing

(can we take some of these Smilies home with us?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:40 am 

J just tonight was saying how much he hated having allergies. We then went on to talk about -even though its not nice and it can be scary-there are lots of other things that would be horrible to have-like his 10yo cousin who has cystic fibrosis=things can always be put into perspective I think and it seems there is always someone worse off than yourself.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 am 

Caz I totally agree, I really want that to be part of teaching our son as he gets older also. Other people/children may not even have health issues but maybe their living environment is awful or there is tragedy in their life. Everyone, if we are aware of it or not is dealing with something which to them is a challenge.

When our son was 6 weeks and had stomach surgery some family thought I wasn't upset enough..BUT..when my husband and I were waiting (during surgery) in the family waiting room there was another family also waiting. They had a 3 year old having (her third) surgery to remove a brain tumor. The surgeon came in and told them he tried but couldn't operate!!!! Oh my goodness that put a huge reality check into what we were dealing with and again, I was instantly jolted from pity to gratefulness.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

The other night I interviewed a 15-year-old who has multiple food allergies.

Eight months ago, she was also diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. My first thought was: what an awful load.
But she was chipper, clearly adapting to it all, and said she has great time with her friends.

Her attitude is: it's only a food issue, I have a great life.
Teens sometimes get a bad rap; they can be pretty wonderful, looking at things with a fresh, optimistic set of eyes. :popcorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:20 pm 

Sometimes it's small events like these that really DO put things into perspective. When I look at people who are less fortunate in terms of their health or well being, I can't really complain about my own health situation. Aside from irritating and often times PAINFUL skin allergies and really bad asthma, I'm a functional human being with many great traits.

Interesting story, BC!